Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Find birth dates for Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Noreen

Noreen Report 14 Apr 2017 17:31

Hi there. I am trying to find birth and marriage certificates for my parents who are living. I know their full names and current address. They were both born in the Republic of Ireland. I was placed in care in this country and have no contact with them. I need to get these certificates to prove my Irish Citizenship. I don't remember when their birthdays are or where they got married etc .They live in the UK, as do I. Is there a way to find their birth dates with just their name and address? I do have my own long birth certificate but that is all. Has anyone got any advice for me on where to begin? I am able to travel to Ireland next month and visit anywhere needed to help get these certs. Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Apr 2017 18:30

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/services/order-birth-certificate-online

copy this link into your browser.the site is the official one.

also marriages.

If born/married in Ireland contact:
General Register Office,
Joyce House,
8-11 Lombard Street East,
Dublin 2,
D02 Y729.
Tel:+353 1 635 40 00

If born/married in Northern Ireland:
General Register Office for Northern Ireland,
Oxford House,
49-55 Chichester Street,
Belfast,
BT1 4HL.
Tel: 0300 200 7890
(028 9151 3101 if calling from outside Northern Ireland)

Noreen

Noreen Report 14 Apr 2017 19:06

Hi there Kay. Thank you so much for your reply. It's really appreciated. For the website I am unable to fill in the required fields as I don't know any details other than their full names and address today in the UK.

It is the same with the Dublin records office, I don't have enough details, ie their date of birth and place/date of marriage to use their services online or by post.

That's why I'm asking, is there a way for me to find out their dates of birth/place of marriage/birth. I just know what area in Southern Ireland our grandparents lived. Any further information you or anyone else could help me with before I head go Ireland next month, to narrow down my search would be appreciated.

Thank you again.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Apr 2017 21:55

Findmypast has some Irish records. I haven't looked for any before so not sure what is available but I have a worldwide subscription so if you would like to send me their names and approximate years of birth I can have a look and see if I can find anything.

Send me a private message (by clicking on my name) if you would rather not put the names on this thread.

Kath. x

Noreen

Noreen Report 14 Apr 2017 22:04

Hi Kath. Unfortunately I don't know their year of birth and it would be a complete guess. I have checked on all the usual sites, like Ancestry and there are just too many hits. Their names are very common in the areas we all come from. Many thanks for your very kind offer though. It's really appreciated.

I just need to know if something like electoral rolls or somewhere are places I can get dates of birth from. I don't even know when they got married or even which country. So the date of birth is my best hope.

I may also have a lead from military records. But no idea how to search recent history, as in 1970's military service records.

Many thanks.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Apr 2017 23:06

Noreen uk electoral rolls that are online give an aprox age but not dates of birth.

are you an only child for this couple.?

Noreen

Noreen Report 15 Apr 2017 05:13

Hi again Kay. No I have a brother but he doesn't live in the UK and we're not in touch unfortunately. Thanks.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2017 09:14

Although you know where your parents live, have you ever made contact with them? If not, as you were in care, would social services or an intermediary agency approach them on your behalf?
If they are church goers, how about the parish priest?

Noreen

Noreen Report 15 Apr 2017 09:44

Apologies for the multiple posts there, I have deleted the surplus ones.

Hi Detective, thanks for the input. I am not able to get in touch with them, it's the nature of the problem. I have contacted care services and they will be sending me my files from years ago but the time line is they won't be with me before my trip to Ireland.

I'm hoping to track down some dates so that when I'm there I can research a narrower window for their certificates.

I know where my nan is buried over there so I can also visit the cemetery and the parish church where many of my relatives still live I believe.

Many thanks again for all your help. It is unfortunately a delicate issue and I don't wish to get in touch with family members for their details, so the searches will be much harder and at arms length. I'd even happily pay for research/Tracing services if it would help to get the dates needed. But ancestry sites and certificate offices are not helpful in this instance so far.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Apr 2017 10:46

If you can get the Irish Parish Priest on your side, he might be able to intercede with family members. Try phoning to make an appointment.
Even if you can't get details via them, you can use some of your time to seek out researchers and their fees.