Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Spice Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 2 May 2017 20:49

My name is Mark Spice and I am wondering if there are any Spices in the St Leonards on Sea and Hastings area who may be related to me. My Great Grandfather Owen Spice left St Leonards in the early 1900's. I have been a member on here for a while but have just uploaded my tree to here. If there is any body who can assist it'll be good to hear from possible relations.

patchem

patchem Report 2 May 2017 21:07

Welcome to genesreunited, Mark.

For some reason, when I type Owen Spice and St Leonards into Search/Search All Member Trees (top right) I do not get a hit for your entry, although I know you have an entry, so punctuation or spacing might be important.

As very few people read these boards it would be better if you went out searching by looking for matches in trees.

Do you know the names of any brothers, nephews, uncles of Owen Spice who stayed in St Leonards to give you Spice relatives?

patchem

patchem Report 2 May 2017 21:10

Owen Spice, 1866 - 1942, is in an extensive family tree on Ancestry - are you aware of it?

malyon

malyon Report 2 May 2017 21:23

there are 38 spice's in hastings and 41 in st leonards on the electrol list

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 May 2017 22:14

An entry on here has Owen 1866 ,perhaps Mark knows the tree owner?

patchem

patchem Report 2 May 2017 23:12

Owen's family in 1871
George Spice 48 Sevenoaks
Ann Spice 44 oxfordshire
Marks Spice 12 St Leonards
Alice Spice 6
Owen Spice 4

George Shire 37
Ann Shire 34
Mary Am Shire 10 Brighton
Thomas Shire 8 St Leonards
Rosina Shire 5
Mark Shire 2

So you are looking for sons of Thomas and Mark.

Mark

Mark Report 3 May 2017 15:15

Thank you for the replies. The main tree on Ancestry is probably mine as I've done a lot on there. I thought I would upload it onto here as well to see if there any different people. I know there was at least 2 spice families in Hastings and St Leonard's at this time. I think that the last results I've got would be about the 1950's as my mum remembers visiting relatives then as well. It's anyone from about that time till now if they are still alive I was hoping to find. My Great grandfather Owen and his brother Mark both drove hose drawn carriages and later motor vehicles for quite important people. A lot of the rest of the family also were involved with this trade as well.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 May 2017 00:16

Hi Mark, do you know the other person at this site who has the two Owens (one as Kay???? mentioned above), 1866 and 1894?

If not, she would be a person to try to contact. She does seem likely to be from your branch of the tree though.

Otherwise, you probably need to start looking for the marriages of Owen Sr's siblings, finding their children ... etc.

However three other people all with different surnames have Alice 1864/65 in their trees so they could be descendants in other lines - ?

Have you looked for his siblings' marriages and as adults in censuses to find their children?

And have you searched trees here? As patchem says, that is really the way to find matching members.