Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas.C.Rowley further info needed please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummie46

brummie46 Report 9 Sep 2013 11:41

Hi, is it possible that someone could do a military look up for me for the mentioned.
He was my grandfather but for some reason dont know what regiment he served in but doknow that he was in Malta in 1st world war. Possibly warwickshire or staffordshire??????
I know quite some time back someone kindly did find some details for me but i passed these onto my uncle who sadly passed away last year.
Thanking you for your time.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 9 Sep 2013 12:21

There is only one medal card for a person of the name Thomas C Rowley listed on TNA medal card index

WO 372/17/110297
Description:
Medal card of Rowley, Thomas C
Corps Regiment No Rank
Welsh Regiment 22382 Private
Date: 1914-1920

Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Ancestry have service records for a Thomas Charles Rowley but I don't have subs so cannot take a look

Roy

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 9 Sep 2013 18:16

This is the one that PP found,

British Army WWI Service Records, 1914-1920 about Thomas Charles Rowley
Name: Thomas Charles Rowley
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Age at enlistment: 33
Residence: 42 Oakfield Rd, Smethwick
Document Year: 1915
Regimental Number: 30455
Regiment Name: East Yorkshire Regt KO Yorkshire LI
Number of images: 19

Served in Malta in 1916, occupation when enlisted was a Jewel Case Wrapper. He married Laura Moore in 1904. Children are, Edward Thomas, Laura Hilda, Frank, Edwin Kenneth and Beatrice Florence.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 9 Sep 2013 18:22

Just incase,

All 1911 England Census Results
1911 England Census about Thomas Charles Rowley
Name: Thomas Charles Rowley
Age in 1911: 28
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Shrubs Berries, Shropshire
Civil Parish: Smethwick
County/Island: Worcestershire
Street Address: Back 195 High Park Road, Smethwick
Marital Status: Married
Registration District: Kings Norton
Registration District Number: 383
Sub-registration District: Smethwick
ED, institution, or vessel: 34
Household Schedule Number: 194
Piece: 17976
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas Charles Rowley 28
Loura Rowley 26
Howard Thomas Rowley 6
Hilda Loura Rowley 4
Frank Rowley 2
Eliza Ann Moore 19

brummie46

brummie46 Report 10 Sep 2013 13:16

thanks to you all, yes Batmans daughter, you have the right one

thanks again

brummie46

brummie46 Report 3 Nov 2013 16:22

further to information supplied by you all, it was a shock in what Batmans daughter found regarding the birth of Beatrice.F.Rowley. I never knew of her birth and my late father never mentioned her although he did tell me he had two sisters who died in infancy but never mentioned Beatrice. Possibly for only a couple of years between them it was never mentioned to him.
I would greatly appreciated if someone could kindly look up my grandfathers actual war records for how did my poor grandmother cope with 5 children whilst he was away and the death of her youngest (Beatrice) did my grandfather actually ever know Beatrice as such.
Its 100 years in 2014 of WW1 and the society i belong to are trying to list ALL names of veterans who came from Smethwick, this is that records will be kept for future generations to know of the people that served their country.
Please any info you can find would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 3 Nov 2013 16:24

sorry, addition to previous --- Details of where my grandfather was between 1914-1918.
Beatrice was born qtr Dec 1915 and died qtr Dec 1918.

Choccy

Choccy Report 3 Nov 2013 16:44

to be going on with -

copy of death cert of Beatrice Florence Rowley on Army records -

died on 2nd Dec 1918 at 42 Oakfield Road, Smethwick of broncho-pneumonia (1 day) (think this means she'd been ill for one day). Mother present at death. Registered on the 3rd Dec 1918. Aged 3 years.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 3 Nov 2013 17:00

thanks choccy for that information

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 3 Nov 2013 17:07

Sending you a PM.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 3 Nov 2013 17:09

thanks Batmans daughter

Choccy

Choccy Report 3 Nov 2013 17:14

Army reserve in UK until 31st May 1916 when enlisted. Sent to Malta on 5th Nov 1916 and it appears he spent the whole of the War in Malta until sent home in February 1919.

His date of birth is shown as 1st April 1882 in Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 3 Nov 2013 19:08

thanks choccy for that information.

Batmans daughter many thanks for your pm - dont know how to thank you for it is much appreciated and all will be recorded for future generations.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 21 Oct 2014 18:21

for information.
Details of my grandfathers army records are held at the Smethwick Heritage (Museum in the park) all WW1 records of smethwick people will be held for any future research by people.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 23 Oct 2014 12:20

The woman had to cope and they knew how to cope then. My grandfather went to war aged 40 and left 5 children and grandma pregnant. A son born lived only a few hours.

Granddad looked after the now famous war horses. He was injured in 1915 and was sent home until fit to return, he left grandma pregnant again.

I have a copy of the photo of her and the 6 children at the end of 1916. I believe it was taken to send to granddad, perhaps for Christmas, to show him his son and last child to be born alive ( a stillbirth in 1919).

His infant son was my father born May 1916.

In those days they didn't expect help from the state so did as best they could.

Granddad died in 1953 days after the coronation aged 79 grandma died in 1962 just after her 82nd birthday. Their lives may have been hard but they both managed long lives.

P.S. They came from Kingswinford and ended up in Walsall some time between 1911 and 1913 (uncle and aunt's births) and stayed there for the rest of their lives. Not far from your grandfather.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 26 Oct 2014 20:35

to true PatinCyprus, these women were really brave in having to cope with the loss of their loved ones and left with a number of children.