Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding records of military service

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 19 Sep 2013 16:44

I'm trying to find records of my grandfather who fought in WW1. I know quite a few details and know that he was a "runner" on the front line. I remember seeing his medals but unfortunately we have lost them over the years. The military sites seem to have no records of him. Help!!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Sep 2013 16:59

Does he have a name?

Year and place of birth?

regiment and service number if known

Roy

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 19 Sep 2013 22:41

Hi Deborah, welcome to the boards.

Over 60% of WW1 records were destroyed during WW2 which may be why he's not showing on military sites. There's a possibility that his medal cards may be on Ancestry.

As Roy says, if you can give us his detail then we can start looking .........

Deborah

Deborah Report 3 Jan 2014 19:20

Thanks for your replies, He was William Henry Atkins, born in 1894 at Tipton which was then in Staffs. Sorry don't know any more details, just that he was a "runner" on the front line because he was so fast.

Deb