Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can any one find....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Oct 2013 09:54

The Marine Society?

One of my ancestors enlisted in the RN in London in 1862. He has born in Clerkenwell.

His papers (downloaded from the NA) under Trade or Occupation says Marine Society Boy with a current address of 7 Waterloo St, Ironmonger Rd, St Lukes.

In the past I have made an internet search for the Marine Society with no success.
Any offers?

Thanks

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 1 Oct 2013 11:41

Found this, but you may already have seen it, don't know if the one you are seeking

http://www.ms-sc.org/history

George

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Oct 2013 11:46

Thanks for the link - Its a bit further than I got!

"The Marine Society and Sea Cadets share a similar history. Founded in 1756 and 1856 respectively, both aimed to support destitute children. The Marine Society gave children the skills they needed to work aboard the King’s ships"

Before I email them, any idea who might have the records?

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 1 Oct 2013 11:53

Sorry ive no idea, I can only suggest National Archives, perhaps the Society will tell you.

George

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Oct 2013 11:54

Thanks George :-)

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 1 Oct 2013 12:00

Someone was asking the same sort of question on this site although it was 6 years ago, they were given some links, have a look

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-47525.html

George

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 1 Oct 2013 19:18

Have you seen this.....

www.workhouses.org.uk/trainingships/index.shtm

"The Marine Society started life recruiting boys and ... The ship was managed by a committee of the 'National Refuges for Homeless and Destitute Children' ... Records ..."

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Oct 2013 09:42

Thank you for the additional posts - I'll follow up both of those leads.