Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

General enquiry re forces wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 8 Oct 2013 13:04

I was led to believe that members of the Armed Forces were required to make a will before being sent on active service.
Did this apply to WW1 forces?
My gran´s brother was with the BEF, went to France on August 22nd 1914 & was killed a few days later at Mons. He was single & just 21.
No sign of a will for him in the recently released records.
Would he have left a will?.
I understand that his body was never recovered. Have all the details of his death from CWG site & have his Mons medal.
Don´t imagine he had much to leave, but a will might give a bit more info about the family

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 8 Oct 2013 13:11

Have you seen this? Relates to soldiers wills.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/

The full article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23861821

George

wisechild

wisechild Report 8 Oct 2013 13:21

Thanks George.
Will take a look

bob

bob Report 20 Oct 2013 13:25

A soldiers pay book, AB64, in WW1 had a form for a will as the back page. It was recommended that a soldier filled this in and handed it to his Commanding Officer before embarking on active service, but it wasn't compulsory. Bob

wisechild

wisechild Report 20 Oct 2013 14:52

Thanks Bob.
As he was shot to bits at Mons & his body was never located, even if he had a will on him, it would never have been found.
In the event he was a single man, his parents were both dead, so I suppose that he would have had no one to leave anything to, even supposing he had anything to leave, which seems very unlikely.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 20 Oct 2013 16:09

How do you no he was "shot to bits" if his body was never located/recovered, if he did make a will then it would have been lodged with his regimental headquarters and not taken into battle, As Bob said making a will was not compulsory.

Roy

Pauline

Pauline Report 24 Oct 2013 23:44

I contacted the regiment of a Grt uncle who died at Ypres. They were very helpful, and I went to the memorial at Ypres, and found his name. A very moving place, and if you get the chance well worth a visit, They still perform the last post every night , so great to know that the soldiers are not forgotten , even after 100 years.