Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

British Army Service Records 1760-1915

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


David Report 21 Oct 2013 20:09

I think I have traced my grandfather by his Attestation Form dated 1895 but I believe
that the age given is not correct . Does anybody know who I can contact to discuss this ?


BatMansDaughter Report 21 Oct 2013 20:22

Hello David.

If we can help we will. If you could give us his name, year of birth and place of birth we could have a look for you.

If he joined up and stated he was older (as many did) then they could only take him at his word unless for some reason they wanted to see his birth certificate if they thought he may have been younger.


KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2013 23:20

Lots of men gave the army a date of birth that was wrong. I know my father and my grandfather both did. My father said he was one year older than he was and my grandfather said he was 3 years younger than he was!!

I don't think anyone is going to alter the records for you if that was what you were hoping for.

Kath. x