Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mentions in Despatches WWII

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JackieA

JackieA Report 24 Oct 2013 22:00

My late father in law, C H Allen, S/93013, W.O.II (actg.), was mentioned in despatches and had his name published in the Supplement to the London Gazette 10 May 1945, 2465. He would never talk about what he had done and, although we have obtained his service record, we have drawn a blank on obtaining any further information. I have searched the National Archives WO373 without success. Is anyone able to give me any pointers to help in our search, please?

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 24 Oct 2013 22:13

Have you found the entry in the London Gazette? If so, is it just an announcement of the award, with no detail?

It's possible it might be mentioned in the War Diary. Which Regiment and Battalion was he in?

JackieA

JackieA Report 24 Oct 2013 22:32

I have found the entry in the London Gazette and it is just the announcement and no detail is given.

He served in the Royal Army Service Corps for the duration of WW11.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 24 Oct 2013 22:35

To find a War Diary we need to know which unit of RASC - it should be on his service record for the appropriate period

JackieA

JackieA Report 24 Oct 2013 23:05

On 20/4/1944 he was posted to 21 Army Group and we know that he landed at Arromanche on D Day and he was with BAOR from August 1944 to December 1945 - sorry if this seems a little vague but this reflects what is contained in his service record.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 25 Oct 2013 18:10

Oh dear - not enough information to find a Diary, I'm afraid

JackieA

JackieA Report 26 Oct 2013 09:56

That was what I was afraid of - his service record is really not very helpful because, although lengthy, it is vague.

Many thanks though for your help.