Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for chap that was in Royal Scots Greys WW2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lawrence

Lawrence Report 27 Nov 2013 23:48

There was a Charles McKenna enlisted likely in 1939 when he was 19, don't know if he was in for the entire duration. In the 1960s-70s he operated a pub in Leicester known as the Axe & Square. He died in 1984. Would like to know if anyone here remembers him; he was also known by the nickname 'chick'.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Dec 2013 11:04

Have you contacted the Pub? Or possibly put a notice in the local paper? Its likely that his contemporaries have also died by now, but it's worth trying.

How about looking to see if Leicester has a British Legion branch - they probably do - and contacting them to see if they had any contact with him.

Post on the Royal Scots Dragoon's Association website - the Greys were amalgamated with them in 1971.
http://www.scotsdgassn.org.uk/

Also Forcesreunited.

Do you have his service records? Depending on your relationship you may be given access by the MOD at a cost of £30 and many months waiting.
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 5 Dec 2013 11:52

Pub still exists and you can write to the local paper which is the Leicester Mercury

[email protected]

Lawrence

Lawrence Report 6 Dec 2013 21:45

Thank you. I'll try contacting the Leicester Mercury to see if they have archival material on the pub. It has had extensive renovations since Charles left in the 1970s, as well the new proprietors say they don't release any info about their establishment. I have tried several Legions in the area and have heard that they will get back to me if anyone remembers him; that was over 4 years ago. I have none of his service records or even his service #.

Kind regards.