Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Crimean War, I know when it ended

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Jan 2014 16:54

but does anyone know if troops involved would have been demobbed within a few months of the end of the war or been stationed elsewhere for a longer period of time? Assuming they were not career soldiers as such.

Trying to ascertain if a gt gt who may have fought in the Crimea would have been back home by the end of 1856.

Thankyou

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 7 Jan 2014 17:37

Are there any discharge papers for him on FMP, or, if he had Medals for the Crimea, do the Medal Rolls (on Ancestry) give date of discharge? What was his name?

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Jan 2014 17:53

Nothing on FMP annielaurie, someone has checked for me in the past, and nothing on Ancestry, the only clue that i have that he was in the Crimea is a reference in a book to a conversation with 'Old William Fishlock recalling the Crimea' ( or words to that effect.

I was just wondering if someone might have come across details of the date of return of soldiers, which would put him in the right place at the right time to have fathered his 'son'. Not that it would make for certainty, but if he was in another country it would certainly exclude the possibility :-)

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 7 Jan 2014 18:25

I don't think it's possible to say. He may have returned to England early, through illness or injury, although a quick search of the Times doesn't show him (they published some casualty lists). Now if we knew his regiment it would be possible to find out!

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Jan 2014 18:43

No idea on his regiment sadly, unless something crops up in the future :-)

Thanks for looking AnnieLaurie :-)