Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HMS MARTIN G44

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Thomas

Thomas Report 12 Jan 2014 11:44

My 18-year-old uncle Ordinary Seaman THOMAS CUSACK was lost when HMS Martin was torpedoed and sunk 10th November 1942.
I am endeavouring to locate relatives of any of the crew that served on HMS Martin.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom Meaden.

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 12 Jan 2014 12:25

Am I correct in thinking this is your website?

http://www.hmsmartin-g44.co.uk/

So I am presuming you have all the info re HMS Martin, including the full crew list etc

http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/crews/ship2399.html

I can only suggest you search all members trees from the list to see if anyone has them in their tree then you can contact them via this site,it better this way rather than wait to see if someone contacts you, I doubt if anyone connected to a crew member of HMS Martin will see your post.

George

Thomas

Thomas Report 15 Jan 2014 19:59

Thanks for your message.

You are correct it is my website.
I have imputted all the crew on the Genes tree search and have had some success which I have installed on our site.
There are a few good hits however who yet to answer so I presume they no longer subscribe. Even so I was led to beleive that they would still get notification from Genes of my message but would be unable to reply through Genes. Although I have added our website contact email and sometimes my personal email I still fail to get a reply. Besides the messages are unopened in the sent box.
Any ideas.
Kind regards,

Tom Meaden.
HMS MARTIN WEBSITE.
[email protected]

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Jan 2014 00:57

Unfortunately this question comes up frequently, although you might want to bear in mind that many people haven't accessed their account over the Christmas period.

If members have changed their day-to-day email, or even Providers, they needed to also change the address with their GR account.

Even if someone no longer subscribes, they can still receive and reply to messages.
They might have died or be too ill, have lost interest or 'blocked' emails from GR.
Don't give up hope - you might receive a reply in 12 months time. It has happened!

Have you tried searching trees on Ancestry, the main competitor's site? If you don't subscribe you can still view them and make contact with the tree owners if their tree is set to 'public' on the mirror image site Mundia.com. Although you'd have to register, it is free to use.

Thomas

Thomas Report 17 Jan 2014 19:38

Thanks for your reply and kind help.

Reagards.

Tom.