Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Silver War Badge

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 20 Jan 2014 14:42

The latest WDYTYA magazine mentions that an index for the above is available on Ancestry and that it was awarded to wounded servicemen. I had never heard of it, so went looking and found my grandfather was listed, and showing the original documentation. It gives his enlistment and discharge date, service no. and regiment, all of which I already knew, but also tells where and when the badge was issued. I have all his medals and some paperwork, but there was no mention of this badge. Apparently it was in recognition of his service, and was a lapel badge intended to prevent white feathers being given to seemingly fit young men.

Apologies if everyone else knows about this ( except me! ) but thought the details might be useful for someone who doesn't know much about a particular soldier. In any case, it's another nice little detail to add to the story.

Sue

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 20 Jan 2014 14:51

The Silver War Badge, sometimes erroneously called the Silver Wound Badge, was authorised in September 1916 and takes the form of a circular badge with the legend 'For King and Empire-Services Rendered' surrounding the George V cypher.

The badge was awarded to all of those military personnel who were discharged as a result of sickness or wounds contracted or received during the war, either at home or overseas

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/medal-index-cards-ww1.htm

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Jan 2014 15:42

Thank you both for the explanation - although I'd noticed the banner that they'd been added to Ancestry, it wasn't as prominent as to want to find out more.

It could be a good research tool, as a filter if nothing else, and for those men whose records have been burnt in WW2

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 21 Jan 2014 09:23

One thing to note is that the Silver War Badge results are not included in a global search on Ancestry (using 'old search'). It also isn't included if you search just Military records. You have to select the actual record set.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2456

I discovered this when searching for my Great Grandfather, who I knew had the badge, using 'old search' but have no idea about using 'new search' as I keep well away from it if I can :-D

Chris

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jan 2014 10:17

You can find the award within the Card Catalogue.

For those of us who have American links, they also feature "Vietnam War, Awards and Decorations of Honor, 1965-1972"......but no images

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 27 Jun 2014 08:06

Hello Mary, I've noticed you've tagged this request onto a couple of other people's threads on this board.

You really need to start a thread of your own so that your request is seen as a new one and people will try to help.

If you go to the top of the front page on this board there's a link "Add Topic" just click on that then you can start your own request.

Good luck!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jun 2014 08:59

On the off chance that Mary finds her way back here

UK, Silver War Badge Records, 1914-1920 about Andrew Kelly
Name: Andrew Kelly
Discharge Unit: M.G. Corps.
Regiment: Machine Gun Corps
Regimental Number: 130533
Badge Number: B202619
Piece: 3181
List Number: MGC 0601-1000
Record Group: WO
Record Class: 329

Discharged 28.2.19, Age 25, Served abroad? Yes

PM sent to Mary, with a copy and paste of MC's post + instructions on how to find threads she has posted or created.

Mary

Mary Report 27 Jun 2014 14:57

Marie Celeste and DetEcTive
Thanks for your replies. I followed advice and have already posted a new thread under Militiary do I need to delete original entries?
Sorry for confusion I have created.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 29 Jun 2014 11:14

I've just been looking up someone in the WW! records and - as usual- got completely hooked reading the next one, and the next one...... etc. I came across a very poorly written letter from an ex soldier begging them to send him this badge as soon as possible as, although he had been wounded and medically discharged, nothing was visible and he was having a terrible time with people asking him why he hadn't joined up as all the other brave boys had. Poor man - I do hope he received his badge before too long.

Sue