Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 War diaries help please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2014 17:04

Please can some one help me out? I’m trying to navigate the NA to find some war diaries.

My relative – a Gunner - died 26 Jun 1917.
His CWGC entry states Royal Field Artillery “C” Bty. 119th Bde.
He originally joined the RFA 185th (Tottenham) Brigade in 1915
His Medal Card assigns him to RFA 336b

I’d like to read about the action on the day he died, but I’m getting hopelessly lost as I can’t identify either C Battery or a 119th Bde

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 about George H Allen
Name: George H Allen
Regiment or Corps: Royal Field Artillery
Regimental Number: 42257

ALLEN, GEORGE HENRY
Initials: G H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery
Unit Text: "C" Bty. 119th Bde.
Date of Death: 26/06/1917
Service No: L/42257
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: III. D. 31.
Cemetery: DICKEBUSCH NEW MILITARY CEMETERY EXTENSION

Thank you.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 1 Feb 2014 21:21

WO 95/295
Description:

119 Army Field Artillery Brigade

Date:
1917 Feb. - 1919 Mar.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Feb 2014 22:38

Hello DET - I've been doing quite a lot of tagging on the war diaries project on National Archives. I don't think they'll be searchable by name until the tagging is complete.

Might be worth checking back in a while as the project progresses?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2014 22:51

Thanks to both of you - I'll have another go at the NA tomorrow. Even if it's necessary to wait, it isn't as if he is going anywhere! :-)

Although it would be lovely to see him mentioned, he was only a lowly Gunner. Messing around on the CWGC site, there is a record of a Corporal from the same assignment who also died on that day.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 1 Feb 2014 23:46

Probably unlikely to be mentioned, really. You can either look at the Diary now or get someone to look for you, or just wait until it's digitised

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Feb 2014 23:53

Det, It's a small world, whilst Using google i came across this link, See below, The interesting part is first a conflict of Date of death CWGC has it as 26/06/1917 But on the site it says, "George rejoined the fighting on 14 Jan 1917, dying in active service, according to the military records, on 20 Jun 1917." then the second interesting thing is

Created by: >>>>>>Kentishmaid <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Record added: Jan 26, 2010

As you say in your OP I’d like to read about the action on the day he died then the date of death would have some bearing on your search

As i said small world

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=47146640

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Feb 2014 09:21

Thank you, I'd forgotten about that and I'll bear it in mind.

I do have the military records and have discussed them with another researcher. As we both think they say 20th there may be transcription error somewhere along the line. Lets hope that the Diaries don't record C Battery as having casualties on both dates! :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Feb 2014 12:25

Its obvious that I'm doing something wrong :-0

Would someone (Annielaurie?) be so kind to post the url please?

Thank you kindly :-D

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 Feb 2014 12:35

If it's the link for the WO 95/295 119 Army Field Artillery Brigade that Annielaurie posted then hear it is

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7349602

As you will see it says

Ordering and viewing options
This record has not been digitised and cannot be downloaded.
Request a quotation for a copy to be digitised or printed and sent to you.

Roy

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 3 Feb 2014 16:20

That's the one, Porkie Pie.

For future reference, you can just put the WO95 ref number I gave you into the National Archives Catalogue and it will come up

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Feb 2014 00:06

Thank you Annielaurie and Roy. Hopefully it won't be too long before the diaries are digitalized.

Goodness knows what I was doing wrong!

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 4 Feb 2014 16:51

Hi +++DetEcTive+++,

Could you save the urls on this thread? We have had reports of urls on threads which seem to be causing an issue, and will be removing the posts which contain links.

Regards

Shelley

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Feb 2014 17:01

Shelly, I have never heard of anyone posting that a url has caused any problem.

Is this linked/connected to the reported Java problem?

We have been posting url with the Hyperlink for years andit's never been a problem in the past.

If we are not to post a link then that will affect GR members who are asking for help with GR and cannot find the info they require,......we often post the hyperlink to the GR page in question so it appears to me that this action will just make GR even less user freindly than it is now

Regards

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Feb 2014 18:48

Url to the NA is now copied as that was a new one to me.

I agree Roy - the Java screen problem, if that is what is referred to, started before this thread.

Sometimes extremely long urls can distort a page, but that is something to do with the reader not allowing 'wrap-around' or something. It was explained to me once!!

jax

jax Report 4 Feb 2014 19:14

Url's causing a problem?

Where on earth have they got that from?

I have had the Java thing 3 times over the weekend just going from one board to another and this is the first time I have been on this board in at least a week (so cannot be anything to do with the url's on this thread

Is this another excuse to say it is nothing to do with GR?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Feb 2014 19:58

Yes, well, look for the simplest solution first :-| :-S

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 4 Feb 2014 20:22

FB has over a billion users and just about all post url's with hyperlink and they don't seem to have that problem.

When i posted the thread on the General board about the Java problem and Shelley posted on page 3 of that thread that they were looking into it,

I did say/imply that GR's answer would be to blame its users

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1336914?page=1

Roy

jax

jax Report 4 Feb 2014 23:07

There is a thread about it on FB and GR replied the once but hav'nt bothered to return....

Genes Reunited When does this appear? It's not on our site (you can see on the link), but if we know a little more about it we can advise as to whats possibly happening.

Like · Reply · February 2 at 3:46pm

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 5 Feb 2014 12:15

Hi all,

We are trying to troubleshoot the problem, there may be a link to a page deemed unsafe. We are not suggesting that you stop posting links, simply trying to determine the root of the problem which members are experiencing.

Regards,

Shelley