Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding military record for Peter Griffin

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Feb 2014 20:22

We think one my ancestors from Wicklow Ireland was in the Royal Artillery how would I be able to confirm this? He was born in 1860 and we think his wife travelled with him, was this usual. At some point they may have been in America but I have no detail on that. We think he was an officer, I wondered if there were any records on line??

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 2 Feb 2014 20:40

Some early records are on FMP,
just posting this one for info probably not your man
There is this one but no indication on the record that he married or went to America or indeed he was an officer.He gave his NOK as his father Peter of Knockabaley , Kilecommon Co. Wicklow.

There are seven pages detailing his service record

British Army Service Records 1760-1915 Transcription
Print Close First name(s): Peter
Last name: GRIFFIN
Calculated year of birth: 1857
Parish of birth: Kilecommon
Town of birth: Wicklow
County of birth: Wicklow
Age at attestation: 22 years
Attestation date: 30 September 1879
Attestation corps: Royal Artillery
Attestation soldier number: ?
Discharge rank:
Discharge corps:
Discharge soldier number:
The National Archives reference: WO97

George

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 2 Feb 2014 20:51

You could also try looking on the National Archives site, they have Officer reciords as well.

Link

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/britisharmysoldierupto1913.htm

George

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Feb 2014 19:23

Thank you both, I have some more researching to do but that record looks promising