Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Colenso, Pretoria SA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 23 Feb 2014 20:06

My grandmother died in her early 40's, in the 1940's and was named Kate Colenso Pretoria Dixon (prior to her marriage) she born in Swindon, Wiltshire. I am aware that Colenso was a battle in the Boer War and we are presuming she took these names from a family member/friend that took part in the Boer campaign or in fact died at Colenso. I have conducted some basic military research without finding out much information /a link and appreciate this maybe an incredible long shot to find out anything further, but any guidance would be much appreciated.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Feb 2014 20:38

What sort of information are you trying to find? There is quite a lot about the battle of Colenso if you google or are you trying to find out why Kate was given these names?

Kath. x

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 23 Feb 2014 21:24

How far back have you researched her family ?

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Feb 2014 21:42

For ref; Is this her ?

Name: Kate Dixon
Age in 1911: 9
Estimated birth year: abt 1902
Relation to Head: Daughter
Birth Place: Swindon, Wiltshire, England
Civil Parish: Swindon
County/Island: Wiltshire
Street address: 10 Percy Street, Swindon, Wilts
Registration district: Swindon
Registration District Number: 240
Sub-registration district: Swindon
ED, institution, or vessel: 20
Household schedule number: 242
Piece: 11786
Household Members:
Name Age
Frederick Dixon 38 Born: Wantage, Berkshire, England
Beatrice Dixon 37 married 15 years born Swindon
William Dixon 14
Kate Dixon 9
Victor Dixon 2
William Smith 31

Dads occupation; Drilling Machinist

Marriages Jun 1895?????
Dixon Frederick Walter Highworth 5a 59
House Beatrice Louisa Highworth 5a 59

their are others on the page

HIGHWORTH REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : Wiltshire.
Created : 1.7.1837 (originally "Swindon & Highworth"). Abolished : 1.5.1899 (to become Swindon registration district).
Sub-districts : Highworth, Swindon.
GRO volumes : VIII (1837–51), 5a (1852–99).
Registers currently held at : Wiltshire.

If it is her iv'e had a quick look and theres nothing obvious so i think you are just going to have to research both sides of the family and to keep looking for a link to the military

Roy

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 24 Feb 2014 13:53

Hello June and welcome to the Community Boards.

Note: I will let June know about the replies to her query. :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 26 Feb 2014 04:31

Births Jun 1901 (>99%)
Dixon Kate Colenso P Swindon 5a 48

The battle of Colenso took place on 15/12/1899. Total casualties British 1138 (145 killed, 755 wounded, 240 missing (mostly POWs)); Boers 40.
Pretoria was captured 5/6/1900.

My guess is there's no military connection. There was a noticeable fashion of naming kids in a patriotic style - Colenso 3 in 1899, 259 in 1900; Pretoria 5 in 1899, 3500 in 1900, Mafeking - 1 in 1899, 644 in 1900 (there were only abt 1700 whites in Mafeking during the siege); Redvers 6 in 1894-8, 237 in 1899, 4751 in 1900.

EDIT Fixed the/there typo

June

June Report 26 Feb 2014 05:45

Thanks for your response - it was a long shot but I naively thought I might find a Dixon named/listed as serving at the battle, somewhere. I will add a note to Kates entry, on my tree, what everyone here has suggested.

My thanks to everyone who has responded so far - I am new to this way of researching/ccontact and confess I did not read "the small print" , so my apologies for responding directly to some people, I now understand I must respond on this thread .

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 26 Feb 2014 12:17

mgnv, "My guess is there's no military connection. The was a noticeable fashion of naming kids in a patriotic style"

Thanks from me also,

You live and learn,

One reason GR is still of interest to me personaly

Roy

mgnv

mgnv Report 26 Feb 2014 18:22

Roy - one of my mates from high school (b 1943) had the mid-names Leonard Spencer, so it wasn't just the Boer War, although it was much more pronounced in the Boer War.