Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Colenso, Pretoria SA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June Report 23 Feb 2014 20:06

My grandmother died in her early 40's, in the 1940's and was named Kate Colenso Pretoria Dixon (prior to her marriage) she born in Swindon, Wiltshire. I am aware that Colenso was a battle in the Boer War and we are presuming she took these names from a family member/friend that took part in the Boer campaign or in fact died at Colenso. I have conducted some basic military research without finding out much information /a link and appreciate this maybe an incredible long shot to find out anything further, but any guidance would be much appreciated.

KathleenBell Report 23 Feb 2014 20:38

What sort of information are you trying to find? There is quite a lot about the battle of Colenso if you google or are you trying to find out why Kate was given these names?

Kath. x

GlitterBaby Report 23 Feb 2014 21:24

How far back have you researched her family ?

Porkie_Pie Report 23 Feb 2014 21:42

For ref; Is this her ?

Name: Kate Dixon
Age in 1911: 9
Estimated birth year: abt 1902
Relation to Head: Daughter
Birth Place: Swindon, Wiltshire, England
Civil Parish: Swindon
County/Island: Wiltshire
Street address: 10 Percy Street, Swindon, Wilts
Registration district: Swindon
Registration District Number: 240
Sub-registration district: Swindon
ED, institution, or vessel: 20
Household schedule number: 242
Piece: 11786
Household Members:
Name Age
Frederick Dixon 38 Born: Wantage, Berkshire, England
Beatrice Dixon 37 married 15 years born Swindon
William Dixon 14
Kate Dixon 9
Victor Dixon 2
William Smith 31

Dads occupation; Drilling Machinist

Marriages Jun 1895?????
Dixon Frederick Walter Highworth 5a 59
House Beatrice Louisa Highworth 5a 59

their are others on the page

Registration County : Wiltshire.
Created : 1.7.1837 (originally "Swindon & Highworth"). Abolished : 1.5.1899 (to become Swindon registration district).
Sub-districts : Highworth, Swindon.
GRO volumes : VIII (1837–51), 5a (1852–99).
Registers currently held at : Wiltshire.

If it is her iv'e had a quick look and theres nothing obvious so i think you are just going to have to research both sides of the family and to keep looking for a link to the military

Cynthia Report 24 Feb 2014 13:53

Hello June and welcome to the Community Boards.

Note: I will let June know about the replies to her query. :-)

mgnv Report 26 Feb 2014 04:31

Births Jun 1901 (>99%)
Dixon Kate Colenso P Swindon 5a 48

The battle of Colenso took place on 15/12/1899. Total casualties British 1138 (145 killed, 755 wounded, 240 missing (mostly POWs)); Boers 40.
Pretoria was captured 5/6/1900.

My guess is there's no military connection. There was a noticeable fashion of naming kids in a patriotic style - Colenso 3 in 1899, 259 in 1900; Pretoria 5 in 1899, 3500 in 1900, Mafeking - 1 in 1899, 644 in 1900 (there were only abt 1700 whites in Mafeking during the siege); Redvers 6 in 1894-8, 237 in 1899, 4751 in 1900.

EDIT Fixed the/there typo

June Report 26 Feb 2014 05:45

Thanks for your response - it was a long shot but I naively thought I might find a Dixon named/listed as serving at the battle, somewhere. I will add a note to Kates entry, on my tree, what everyone here has suggested.

My thanks to everyone who has responded so far - I am new to this way of researching/ccontact and confess I did not read "the small print" , so my apologies for responding directly to some people, I now understand I must respond on this thread .

Porkie_Pie Report 26 Feb 2014 12:17

mgnv, "My guess is there's no military connection. The was a noticeable fashion of naming kids in a patriotic style"

Thanks from me also,

You live and learn,

One reason GR is still of interest to me personaly

mgnv Report 26 Feb 2014 18:22

Roy - one of my mates from high school (b 1943) had the mid-names Leonard Spencer, so it wasn't just the Boer War, although it was much more pronounced in the Boer War.