Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

West Cork Militia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Driscoll

Driscoll Report 14 Mar 2014 19:33

I saw a note on the baptism of a child in Kinsale in 1855, Thomas Driscoll born to Kate O'Neill and John Driscoll. John has W.Cork Militia written above the baptism. I am wondering how I might find any information about John Driscoll's service, and any other details that might fledge out what I know about him.
I know that he came from the Castlehaven area of Cork, and that his other children were baptized in Union Hall.
I am curious about the role of the West Cork Militia, as I had some information that John's kin were at least sympathetic to the uprising with 'rebels' coming through his place of residence. I believe this area was part of a pathway via sea to Clonakilty.
Anything anyone can add would be interesting, thanks.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 14 Mar 2014 20:38

try findmy past they have a military record for

DRISCOLL John born 1823 Kinsale, Cork WO97 Chelsea

Roy

Driscoll

Driscoll Report 15 Mar 2014 10:33

Thank you Roy
Kerry

Driscoll

Driscoll Report 16 Mar 2014 08:46

The Kinsale record had him from West Cork, and I believe he came from near Castlehaven and was part of the Union Hall parish records.
I don't think he was from Kinsale. I can access the Australian Find My Past, but not UK. Cannot seem to find them in the Aussie site.
I think he was born about 1834.
If anyone can find a record I am in London in June and can go to Archives to hunt it out.

Thanks
Kerry

Driscoll

Driscoll Report 6 Aug 2014 01:40

Found 2 things.
1. I have had information that there is a DNA link to Driscoll's of Skeaf. My Driscoll's definitely wen to work at the mill in Rineen, but may have only been there for 20 or 30 years.

2. Apparently there are military records held in London for the British Army. In the years that my John Driscoll seems to have been in the Army Ireland was considered British, so there should be some record of him. Can anyone tell me how to access this from NZ?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 6 Aug 2014 20:50

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mturner/cork/militia.htm

safc

safc Report 6 Aug 2014 22:03

thoms driscoll baptism
you can view the church record
its says west cork but i cant see the word militia

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/2e4f6a0145802

Driscoll

Driscoll Report 6 Aug 2014 22:52

I was informed that the most likely reason for a bunch of West Cork lads being in Kinsale was because they were with the British Army (as Ireland was 'British' back then) and were serving at Fort George. I have no idea, but figured that was a likely option given the times. I don't think, for one moment, that he was a committed 'Brit'.

Driscoll

Driscoll Report 6 Aug 2014 23:38

Is there anyone going to Kew who could possibly gather any info on the John Driscoll's who were in Kinsale as part of the British Army in the timespan from, roughly, 1845 - 1856? I am happy to pay any costs.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 7 Aug 2014 22:45

Driscoll

There's no way that search can be done without having his regiment. If Regiment
is known, and from what you've said, it's West Cork Militia, the Musters for that regiment, if they have survived ,would have to be searched.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 8 Aug 2014 11:48

Excerpt from the page I posted previously:

"WAR OFFICE DOCUMENTS

These are the reference numbers for documents available at the British PRO, Kew

Muster rolls or enrolment lists

Cork City: 1793-1876 (WO/13 2687-705)
Cork (North): 1793-1876 (WO/13 2706-26)
Cork (South): 1873-1876 (WO/13 2727-46)
Cork (West) Artillery: 1855-1876 (WO/13 2747- 50)"

"All the militia regiments were re-embodied in 1855 when war broke out in the Crimea. The Cork City militia was converted to artillery as the Royal Cork City Artillery Regiment and a new regiment, the West Cork Artillery Regiment, was formed. The militia regiments were generally used for garrison duties which freed the regular army for duty in the Crimea. They were disembodied in 1856 but the Cork City Artillery was embodied again for the Indian mutiny (1857-8)."

Driscoll

Driscoll Report 8 Aug 2014 13:24

Thank you Kucinta.