Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Medals Cadzow WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 19 Mar 2014 21:59

I am hoping someone can help. My OH has just discovered that his Grandfathers WW1 medals were sold by a cousin.

The medals were The 1914/15 Star, the British Service Medal and the Victory Medal.

They were awarded to PT J J Cadzow of The Highland Light Infantry.

Any help getting them returned to the family would be greatly appreciated. His daughter is now 86 years of age and has no memory of ever seeing her fathers medals.

Please share this anywhere you can think of. Any help is very much appreciated.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 19 Mar 2014 23:00

If they where sold then i doubt you will ever get them back unless they come back onto the market but hear are the medal card details from the national archives

Reference: WO 372/3/231058
Description:
Medal card of Cadzow, John J
Corps Regiment No Rank
Highland Light Infantry 12452 Private
Royal Defence Corps 70701 Private
Date: 1914-1920
Held by: The National Archives, Kew

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Mar 2014 10:50

Although you have posted elsewhere about how you’ve contacted the dealer and auctioneers involved, would it be possible or practical to have reproductions made?

You possibly already have the details from both the medal card and the auction catalogue –

Awarded the
Victory
British
15 Star

Entry in to Theatre of war- France 12 May 1915.

http://www.mycollectors.co.uk/content/medals/Medals-British-Copies.aspx
Works out at about £68 excluding inscription.

Linda

Linda Report 20 Mar 2014 12:39

Roy,

Many thanks for taking the time to post those details. We did get a copy of the medal card from the NA.

DetEcTive,

Never heard of that site thank you for the link. It gives us another option if we don't track them down (hope springs eternal )

I spoke to the auctioneers (in Glasgow) and they contacted the dealer. They only sold the 1914/15 Star we have no idea when the others were sold.

He has sold it on at a fair which was either down South or in Edinburgh.

He has no idea who bought them which is understandable would have been a cash sale.

Who knows what might transpire through the power of the Internet.

Again thank you both for taking the time to post.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Mar 2014 12:50

There were other sites on an internet search - that one looked professional!

I was interested as some belonging to a deceased relative went awol - in his case probably the bin ;-)
Obviously reproductions won't have the same emotional attachment as the originals, but make a good substitute.

Linda

Linda Report 20 Mar 2014 16:01

The other medals are just as likely to have been exchanged in the pub!

He even sold his Dads medals and I don't think his only sibling knows anything about all this.

Have been looking on e-bay and think it is really bad what some of these medals are selling for.
IMHO its disrespectful to the men who earned them.

Surely if there is any other family member who would love to have them they should be passed to them.

Some of the medals on sale were priced lower than the prices you quoted!

Sad and a sign of the times I suppose.

I will post if anything turns up :-)