Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mr Charles Henry Jones - served in the Desert Rats

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sheila

sheila Report 27 Mar 2014 13:59

Hi out there, anybody know of Charles Henry Jones, born at Abersucan, Pontypool, 6 March 1919, he has medals that myself and my live in partner his step son Mr Robert Jones cannot access.

We live in Sutton.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Mar 2014 10:09

To apply for his service records see the link below

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Not sure what you mean by "cannot access his medals"

Roy

sheila

sheila Report 28 Mar 2014 14:56

No idea how to use this system - what junk

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Mar 2014 15:12

Click on the hyperlink in blue as posted by Porkie_Pie. That will take you to the official site site so that you can order his military records. They aren't yet in the public domain, but still with the MOD.

Like PP, I'm not sure what you mean about accessing his medals - most of the military records or medal cards on any site are for WW1 not WW2 or later.

If you think he might have been awarded a medal for gallantry or similar, you could try searching The London Gazette. There could be any number of men with the surname Jones!

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Mar 2014 15:26

sheila, Just because you don't know how a system works doesn't make it JUNK

Just why i bother trying to help people when that's the sort of response i get is getting beyond me.

PM from sheila,

Cannot access his medals because his daughter in Tewkesbury will not allow his stepson access, long running feud.

I told Sheila she needs to add all her replies on the thread with instructions on how to add to her thread

Back to the question of access to medals,

As your OH is "step son" then his daughter has the right to keep his medals over and above the rights of his step son,

Why are his medals so important to your OH?

NOTE: People posting replies and helping on these boards are NOT paid employees of GR, we are members who pay our own subs just like you

Roy

sheila

sheila Report 28 Mar 2014 15:58

He was adopted in November 1962 solicitor has said he has equal rights to his stepsister. End of story, cannot access stuff on this site

sheila

sheila Report 28 Mar 2014 15:59

All we would like to ask the British Army to access his medals that is all to get the numbers, surely not too difficult

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 28 Mar 2014 16:12

Your PM never said anything about adoption or stepsister, end of story

Medals are issued to surviving soldiers or surviving widows, Once they are issued the british army have no further responcibility for them, They never made spares to hand out in the event of a family feud end of story

You said it "surely not too difficult" so get on with it

Edited

No further help from me END OF STORY

BYE

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Mar 2014 19:55

If your partner was adopted by Charles, then legally he is Charles' son. As such he has the right to order his Military records from the link given previously. Who knows? May be the medals he was awarded are mentioned, and the records ought to give his service number.

As Roy says, once they are issued, the care of them passes out of the MOD's hands. If you really want access to the originals, then hire a solicitor and ask if it can be taken through the Courts as a Civil matter. That will probably cost you mega bucks, so be prepared.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 28 Mar 2014 22:00

Not sure what you mean by "get the numbers" WW2 medals weren't numbered