Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pte HJ Harvey, 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment WWI

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 29 Apr 2014 20:23

Can anyone help me find out more about this chap

47045 Pte HJ Harvey, 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment, also entitled to the British War and Allied Victory Medals.The Chelmsford and Essex Regimental Museum provided me with this information, but I cannot find out anything else about him.

I am trying to rule this chap out or in as my grandfathers brother.
Grandfather served with the Essex Regiment both him and his brother survived the war

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Apr 2014 21:20

What do the initials H J stand for ?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 29 Apr 2014 21:26

Can you confirm the service numer ?

Should it be 47049 ?

Name: H J Harvey
Regiment or Corps: Essex Regiment
Regimental Number: 47049

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 30 Apr 2014 06:14

Thanks, yes, I think the number should be 9.
The number was given to me by the museum and must be a typo. U nfortunately that rule him out. Mine was John Jame.
Ah well, on with the search.
Your help is appreciated, thanks again

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Apr 2014 09:24

Would you care to give us a few details? We can have a look for you on other subscription sites.

Full name, place and year of birth would be helpful as that would help us identify any surviving service or pension records. You do have to bear in mind that over 60% of those were destroyed during WW2 bombing.

Are you confident that he served in one of the Essex regiments? It was quite usual for men to be assigned to which ever Regiment was below strength, even if it wasn't their 'local' one.

Did he marry or have a child while he was a serving soldier? The certificate might tell you which regiment he was with, and possibly his service number.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 30 Apr 2014 23:01

It might also help if you could tell us who your grandfather was so we could cross reference any potential records.

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 1 May 2014 12:59

Thanks +++DetEcTive+++ , for your reply.
His name was John James Harvey, born approx 1894 in Poplar London.
Parents George William Harvey and Hannah. George died in 1901 and Hannah remarried Erik Fielden in 1907. Their address on the 1911 census was 106 Hilda Road Canningtown, London.
His brother (my grandfather) George Arthur Harvey joined the Essex Regiment ( have his military record) There is no J J Harvey to be found within the records a the Chelmsford and Essex Regimental Museum
Unfortunately the only information I know about him has come from censuses.

:-S

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 1 May 2014 16:54

This might be something but thereagain it might not be relevant at all!

Air Ministry: Air Member for Personnel and predecessors: Airmen's Records. Name: John James Harvey.

Collection: Records created or inherited by the Air Ministry, the Royal Air Force, and related bodies
Date range: 1918 - 1928
Reference:AIR 79/2551/292744
Subjects:Armed Forces (General) | Air Force

The reason why I am posting this is because I had a similar situation with my Grandfather whereby I knew he had been in the Army in WW1 as I have photos of him but I had not been able to find any military records for him not even a Medal Card.

I recalled my Father telling me that, at some stage during WW1, my GF had been in the Royal Flying Corp (RFC) and I have only recently found out that, although the RFC was part of the Army, in 1918 it became the Royal Air Force (RAF) and that all his Army records would have been transferred to the RAF at that time.

As far as i'm aware full RAF Records are not yet on line.

However, on a search of the National Archive I have now come across a reference to records held for him with them under the RAF. I am hoping to visit the National Archive to look at the records in the very near future.

For years I thought his records had been destroyed in the blitz of WW2

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 1 May 2014 18:53

Thanks Londonbelle,
I will certainly have a look at that.
And I learned something new today too.

i am as always grateful to the help of you clever 'genies'
<3