Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Photo sought of Military World War 1 nurse

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jun 2014 22:22

Matilda SUTTON

Not a personal request, but help sought for new exhibition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-27926021

Gwyn

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Jun 2014 09:06

I'm afraid that link doesn't seem to be working Gwyn. It's not the way you've posted it because doing a search on BBC's website fetches up a broken link too.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Jun 2014 14:18

It worked for me. I tried it yesterday and I have just tried it again, after reading MarieCeleste's post, and it is still OK.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 21 Jun 2014 15:50

It looks possible that Matilda's elder sister is the only sibling that had children.

I can see grandchildren to the sister that were born in 1938 and 1941.

I wonder if they could be of any assistance??

Edit>>> looks like these 2 children maybe the only descendants, their parents are buried in Scotland (mother died in 2000).

Looks like their Aunt died intestate and descendants were being looked for in 2000.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 21 Jun 2014 16:51

When Matilda's brother died in 1954 (New Zealand) he names the mother of the children born in 1938 & 1941, so I would presume that these 2 children are the best bet.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Jun 2014 19:44

Yes, the link is definitely working now but wasn't this morning. BBC must have fixed their link.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 21 Jun 2014 19:48

Not working for me now MC :-|

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Jun 2014 18:11

Strange tempermental link ! I have had trouble with it too.

Thank you for your interest and the information posted.

Gwyn

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 28 Jun 2014 20:02

Was listening to BBC Radio London today which came from down the road from me in the Woolwich Barracks.

They had a representative on from the Edith Cavell nurses. They along with the Red Cross do seem to have extensive WW1 records of nurses and VADs.

Hope this may help. :-D