Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gloucestershire regiment

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nelly67

nelly67 Report 22 Jun 2014 00:06

Hello , I'm trying to find any information and any advice on trying to find my gramps service record .
His name was Cyril Stanley bond , from stonehouse in Gloucestershire and was in the Gloucestershire regiment during ww2
I have some photos of him in active service and they are wearing shorts , so it must bein a warm area ?
Any help would be very great , thank you

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Jun 2014 00:16

Hi

Records for service personnel who fought in WW2 are still with the MOD. Follow this link and download the appropriate form

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

If Cyril, if he is still living, or his widow can sign them, there is no charge. Otherwise copies will cost you £30. There could well be a lengthy wait in the region of 8-9 months

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Jun 2014 00:16

WW2 records are not online. They are still with the MOD.

Check here to find out how to apply for them:-

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

The records will cost about £30 and may take many months to receive them.

Kath. x

nelly67

nelly67 Report 22 Jun 2014 12:13

thank you

nelly67

nelly67 Report 22 Jun 2014 12:45

thank you for your help , but do you know which forms i will need to fill in there seems to be quite a few ?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Jun 2014 17:27

I found it easier to telephone the number below and ask them to send me the forms I needed when I was applying for my father and father-in-law's service records:-

Tel: 0845 600 9663

Or you could just write to them:-

Army Personnel Centre,
Historical Disclosures,
Mail Point 555,
Kentigern House,
65 Brown Street,
Glasgow,
G2 8EX

Kath. x

nelly67

nelly67 Report 23 Jun 2014 00:24