Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

D R MEDLYN

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

samantha

samantha Report 11 Jul 2014 13:29

SERVICE NUMBER 14579852 DOG TAG TO RETURN TO FAMILY

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 Jul 2014 00:34

Hello Samantha

I see you've posted quite a number of similar threads. I guess there's a remote possibility that some time in the future someone researching the (in this instance) Medlyn surname might just stumble across your posts and recognise the initials. It's a very small minority of Genes Reunited members who actually use these boards.

What era/country are all these dogtags from?

If you have the inclination you could take the proactive approach and do a search of members trees to see if any other members have possible matches.

Good luck with returning them to descendants.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 Jul 2014 00:38

This is a completely wild guess:

British Phone Books, 1880-1984

Name: D R Medlyn
Address: Btchr,114 Killigrew Rd, Falmouth
Exchange: I
Directory Title: Bournemouth / Exeter / Plymouth / Portsmouth / Southampton Mar
Publication Year: 1960
Directory County: Hampshire, Devon
Page Number: 2124

Similar listings continue until c1981

patchem

patchem Report 12 Jul 2014 08:25

MarieCeleste,

I was assuming that D R Medlyn had died in the war so was looking for possible births, but that phone book entry looks like the only one, so still alive after any war.

Wrong country? American? Australian?

samantha

samantha Report 12 Jul 2014 08:26

hello.many thanks for your advice.sppreciate it..i am new to this so any help gladly received x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jul 2014 11:52

Possible birth in 1924 - a person of that name on the 2014 ER. Worth a letter on spec?
Address sent

PM acknowledged

Denis

Denis Report 12 Jul 2014 12:28

Dog Tag is an American term so American possibly?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jul 2014 12:34

Could be Denis, but then we might say we are going to the Movies instead of the Cinema or Pictures ;-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 Jul 2014 16:14

I've found it quite the usual term for British ID discs to be referred to as dog tags.

Samantha, it would be a big help if you could tell us the source of the tags.

samantha

samantha Report 12 Jul 2014 18:07

all dog tags found many years ago in a paper bag when someone was digging up their front garden in Plymouth.. just sorting out and came across them...

patchem

patchem Report 13 Jul 2014 07:38

Have you considered researching typical information found on dog tags from different countries and different eras, so that you have some idea of time and place and possible first regiment that the person belonged to?

Is the only information on the tag the surname, initials, and number, as many tags have far more than that, including full first name? (Are they actually genuine?)

samantha

samantha Report 13 Jul 2014 07:54

I think they are genuine..yes initials..surname.number and whether R C or C E... I know one was traced back to a family member when was first found all those yrs ago...am going to take them to a army recruitment place to see if they can help and advise me too...