Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Official Document conflictions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 8 Aug 2014 15:18

On the service card for my step greatgrandfathers record, it shows he was K-I-A (killed in action) 22.7.15 at Ypres, yet the find a grave record states 8.7.15 as does the death date on the record on Ancestry.co.uk. This card also shows the 3 medals awarded. So, which information is correct? Does anyone know?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Aug 2014 16:58

Welcome to the boards Elaine

I would have thought that his service record would be more likely to be correct. Have you bought his death certificate? That should be correct but it won't give you any more information than you already have.

What is his name and date of birth? I could look on Findmypast and see which date is on there.

Kath. x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Aug 2014 17:50

Hi Elaine, do the service numbers and regiment check out out on the various records?

What you're describing sounds like his medal card rather than the actual service record.

Have you checked CWGC? http://www.cwgc.org/

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 9 Aug 2014 12:09

I'll let Elaine know how to return to her replies... :-)