Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CANNOT FIND MY FATHER'S MILITARY RECORDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley-Ann

Lesley-Ann Report 12 Aug 2014 02:00

I am having difficulty finding any record of my father. I have limited information but I do have what I believe is his service record and many places where he was stationed. However, nothing is coming up on a search. What could I be doing wrong! I know he was in the British Army

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Aug 2014 10:34

What period of time are you seeking?

First World War records may be online, - although alot were lost and destroyed.

Later service records are not for general view and have to be applied for individually by a next of kin or really close relative of the deceased service personnel.

Gwyn

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Aug 2014 12:16

Welcome to the boards Lesley-Ann.

I don't quite understand what you are saying.

You first of all say you have what you believe is his service record but then you say you are looking for his records. What exactly is it that you already have?

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2014 14:49

If you are looking for WW1 records on GR, you won't necessarily find a great deal. The vast majority are held on Ancestry with links from the National Archive site. Bear in mind that over 60% of them were destroyed during WW2 bombing although most of the medal index cards were stored elsewhere and survived.

UK WW2 records are not yet in the public domain. They have to be applied for from the MOD.
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Potty

Potty Report 13 Aug 2014 15:57

I think what Lesley-Ann is saying is that although she has her father's service record, she can find no other records for him.

Lesley-Ann, if your father is no longer living, please could you post some details.

Lesley-Ann

Lesley-Ann Report 14 Aug 2014 03:36

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Firstly I say I have what I believe is his service record - what I meant to say is what I believe to be his Service NUMBER. Secondly, from what you have said and subsequent info from MOD site, I shall have to go through that site for any info. Thank you all for your help. I was a bit dubious about this but you have all been great and very helpful You never know, we may talk again another time. Lesley

Potty

Potty Report 15 Aug 2014 12:50

Any time you need help, come back Lesley-Ann.