Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 9 Oct 2014 14:04

I have tried to find my father`s Records to no avail Born 1908 He was in the Army from 1928 for six years and a reserve for a further five Army No was 1866297 He was at Dunkirk and taken from the beach , He was at Colchester . 7Field Co R.E Colchester. This is all I have .If any one can help with this I would be gratefull

jansmith

jansmith Report 9 Oct 2014 15:02

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html this should give you details for getting records as after 1920 they are still with the mod and not online

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Oct 2014 14:04

And do not hold out much hope

My maternal grandfather was in the army between the wars and they cannot find his records anywhere. They said 'they have either been, lost, destroyed or misfiled'.

And I have heard of others in the same boat for this time scale.

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 8 Nov 2014 09:49

I have tried the link that has been given ,I have search the site but cannot find any thing related to my search. I have spent several days trying to find something but have failed on all counts . So have sadly come to the conclusion that I will not find any thing about him apart from what I already have . :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Nov 2014 10:09

You have to send off to the MOD for his records - they aren't on line!

You >>>>have to complete the form<<<< with as much detail as you can and >>>post it off<<< with a cheque for £30.

It may take many months before you get a reply as the MOD is concentrating on living servicemen and their families.

The form you need is probably this one
http://www.veterans-uk.info/pdfs/service_records/army_kinship.pdf

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Nov 2014 14:07

You do not even need to fill out the form. I got my dads records by simply sending a letter with all the relevant info, and included copies of his marriage, his death and my birth certs.

No problem.

Same with wills.