Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Record look up - reading the handwriting.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 8 Nov 2014 08:55

Hi all hope you can help.

My gr grandfather was in WWI I have found his war records but I am having trouble reading the handwriting of where he served and why he was discharged "no longer physically fit for war service" is stamped over the writing. Joined in April 1916 and is discharged in 1917.

Mark Cope born 1883 Walsall No 18603. Thank you for your help.

Regards Lynn

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Nov 2014 09:15

(can see below)

UK, Silver War Badge Records, 1914-1920 (Ancestry)
Name: Mark Cope
Discharge Unit: South Staffs.
Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment
Regimental Number: 18603
Badge Number: 236677
Piece: 3053
List Number: F 0601-0824; 0001/1-0187/2
Record Group: WO
Record Class: 329
(Enlistment 20/4/15 Discharge 31/8/17 Cause Sickness Served Overseas Yes)

(also on Find My Past)
Record set Silver War Badge Roll 1914-1920
Category Military, armed forces & conflict

Chris :)

About UK, Silver War Badge Records, 1914-1920
Historical Background

The British Empire lost more than 700,000 service personnel killed in World War 1. An even greater number were discharged because of wounds or illness. In September 1916, King George V authorized the Silver War Badge (SWB) to honor all military personnel who had served at home or overseas since 4 August 1914 and who had been discharged because of wounds or illness. The SWB was a small, circular badge made of sterling silver, bearing the king’s initials, a crown, and the inscriptions ‘For King and Empire’ and ‘Services Rendered’.

The SWB was not simply an honor; it also served a practical purpose. At the time, men of military age who were not obviously in the service were sometimes accosted or insulted by civilians presenting them with white feathers — a symbol of cowardice — for shirking their patriotic duty. The badge served as an outward symbol that the wearer’s duty to country had been honorably fulfilled.

Lynn

Lynn Report 8 Nov 2014 09:32

Hi Chris

Thank you for your help I will share this information with my Dad.

Regard Lynn

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Nov 2014 09:55

UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

(also on above, both on Ancestry, second one states SWB, and Theatre of War 2 Balkans)

Balkans
To 31st December 1915 and from 1st January 1916
Code: 2
?a Greek Macedonia, Serbia, Bulgaria and European Turkey
?b Gallipoli (Dardanelles)

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/places/ww1-theatres-of-war.htm

(from google search above, and probably more on there)

Chris :)