Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Alfred Walter Bate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Nov 2014 10:07

I haven't asked for a look up for a few years now but with today being the 11/11 I thought I would access the free look up on Ancestery (I long gave up my subscription). However to find the war record of the above and his son I needed to take a free membership which, knowing my memory these days I didn't want to do mas I would (as they hope) forget to cancel.

Could/would anyone please look up the following for me and see if it says where they were killed.

ALFRED WALTER BATE born Portsmouth Hampshire 23.2 1877 died c1916

ALFRED EDWARD BATE son of the above born Portsmouth Hampshire 1894 died 10.3.1914.

The father of Edward Walter was Isaac Bate and mother was Matilda both Portsmouth.

Thanks to anyone who can help. I will be out later on so if there are any queries I will answer them when I get in.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Nov 2014 10:16

Hello Ann, are you sure of the year for Alfred Edward?

BATE, ALFRED EDWARD
Service No:10535
Date of Death:10/03/1915
Regiment/Service:King's Royal Rifle Corps 1st Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 32 and 33.
Memorial:LE TOURET MEMORIAL

This is from CWGC (Free) http://www.cwgc.org/

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Nov 2014 10:23

There's an Alfred Walter Bate with a very similar birth date enlisted in Royal Marines:

Reference: ADM 159/12/7235
Description:
Name Bate, Alfred Walter
Register Number: 7235
Division: Royal Marine Light Infantry: Portsmouth Division
When Enlisted/Date of Enlistment: 03 January 1894
Date of Birth: 23 February 1876

This is from National Archives. You can download the record for £3.30 on this link
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7746495

ADDED: From what I can make out from the free distorted image available looks like he was kicked out for being under age.

That doesn't mean to say he couldn't have enlisted in the army at a later date.

ADDED: Have deleted a death posted for Alfred Walter Bate 25/06/1915 in India -that soldier was born c1890

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Nov 2014 10:29

Ann, could you clarify which is the correct name please?

You're asking about the death of Alfred Walter Bate but then say "The father of Edward Walter was Isaac Bate and mother was Matilda both Portsmouth"

Also, Alfred Walter appears to be married to an Alice Maud on the 1901 census but they don't appear to have any children at that point. ADDED: The 1911 census confirms they had no children.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Nov 2014 10:50

Sorry, muddle headed and in a rush.

The father of Alfred Walter was Isaac Bate and mother was Matilda both Portsmouth

And yes I have just checked and Alfred Walter was married to Alice Maud.

Thinking about it, it would have been R Marines, as thatw as a family tradition, Alfred Walter's father Isaac and grandfather Jesse were both in the R Marines as, I think, was his Gt Grandfather Richard Bate.

You say you think Alfred Walter (born 23.2.1877 (info from his granddaughter now decd) was kicked out for being under age. He would have been 38.

Thank you for that Marie Celeste, very helpful info.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Nov 2014 15:19

That is a mystery about Alfred and Alice not having children as from family input I have Alfred Edward as the son. Can't find him on Free BMD either. Hmm!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 11 Nov 2014 15:26

Ah, suddenly thought of something I have found his birth in Alverstoke and his father has stuck the s back on the surname. Isaac Bates Alfred Walter's father always used BATES while his sons and subsequent descendants used BATE.

And it was December quarter 1894.

can't actually confirm the parents without the birth certificate but Alverstoke was where the RM houses were and father was a R Marine.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 12 Nov 2014 10:58

Ann, the record where Alfred Walter was "kicked out" was from 1894 so, if he was fibbing about his age, he would have been under age at that time.

The death I posted above for Alfred Edward Bate 10/03/1915 seems to be for the son of Jesse Edward Bate(s) and Marion. He was born 1894. His father Jesse was the brother of Alfred Walter Bate born 1877.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Nov 2014 11:45

MC Thanks, yes I was thinking about that in bed and thought that was probably it re the under age. He did later go into the R Marines though. and you were correct yesterday, he had no children. Just dug out the handwritten (not by me, by my cousin) family tree (which is very big and my eyes must have crossed. Yes. (sorry, sorry :-D) Alfred Edward was the son of Jesse Edward Bate (Alfred Walter's brother) who was married to Mary Ann Hughes. so it was actually the one I was talking about who my brain (but not the tree) had attached to the wrong brother.

Isaac Bate had nine children of whom the eldest, Richard was my grandfather. Alfred and Jesse were his brothers.

thanks again and sorry to get a bit muddled. However it is good to know where Alfred Edward is remembered. It looks like with no known grave.