Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Berwickshire Militia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sylann

Sylann Report 17 Oct 2015 13:56

Hi I have an ancestor John McAlpine who served in the Berwick shire militia in 18 08+ he married in Haddington 1807 a Margaret Donaldson

I know he was in Suffolk round 1810 as he had a son George McAlpine
in 1813 he was claiming for 2 children George & Elizabeth (think Elizabeth was born in Linlithgow)

In the 1841 census John was a shoemaker aged 55 born in Scotland but not in the County living with his wife Margaret 55 b Scotland but not in County and Daughter Stewart Cowie McAlpine(understandable down as son) born in Linlithgow, I think they were living in Linlithgow from 1816 as 3 other children were born there

I've been told that more info could be got from Muster records??
So if anyone is up for the challenge I would be grateful for any more info
age, where he joined up.where he was born.

I've checked all death record for him hoping I could find his actual age or his parents,

Don't know what else I can do

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Oct 2015 18:24

A thread about him on this site

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=504458.0

includes recommends for where info might be found

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Oct 2015 18:36

http://www.bordersfhs.org.uk/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=153

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GOONS/2000-12/0976220283 which amongst other things says -
I have looked at some militia pay lists/muster rolls for this
period and they are useful to trace a person's movements and when he entered
and left the militia, but they don't give any personal details of
birthplace, etc you would find in regular army records.

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Oct 2015 18:50

Have you found them in 1851??

There is this record which may just be a coincidence with forenames and occupation. Ages are out for a 1807 marriage and the 1841, but wouldn't be the first time ages were wrongly given!

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Newton, Glenmuick, Kincardine Oneil, Aberdeenshire, Scotland

Print transcription Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
John McAlpine Head Married Male 60 1791 Shoemaker East Parish, Perthshire, Scotland
Margaret McAlpine Wife Married Female 57 1794 - Raffer, Banffshire, Scotland

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Oct 2015 19:01

Daughter Stewart married in Edinburgh in 1847, so are the parents still in that area then?

Your OPR Banns & Marriages Search Returns
You searched for: Surname: "mcalpine"; Surname Option: TraditionalSoundex; Forename: "stewart"; Forename Option: Prefix; Sex: "Any"; Date From: 01 January 1841; Date To: 31 December 1854;

Refine your search

Jump to page: of 1 (2 records)
No Date Surname Forename Spouse Name Frame No Sex Parish City/County GROS Data
1 15/02/1847 MCALPIN STEWART COWIE JOHN GRANT/FR2444 (FR2444) M ST CUTHBERT'S EDINBURGH CITY CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/02 0460 0253

Sylann

Sylann Report 18 Oct 2015 19:03

Thank you

I suppose finding out when he joined might help

I know he was a soldier in 1807 when he married in Haddington
He was in Sufflok in 1810 when his son George was born
and not sure if he was in Linlithgow when Elizabeth was born in 1812/1813 on her marriage certificate it says she was born in Linlithgow but not found a birth certificate
by 1818 when his daughter Margaret was born he was in Linlithgow and a Shoemaker

greyghost

greyghost Report 18 Oct 2015 19:06

Probable death of the 1851 John McAlpine. Puts him a bit older than the census gives.
Note that on this record and the daughter's marriage the name is spelt McAlpin (no E), so could be worth looking for records in both versions

Your SR Deaths Search Returns
You searched for: Surname: "mcalpine"; Surname Option: TraditionalSoundex; Forename: "john"; Forename Option: Prefix; Sex: "Any"; Year From: 1855; Year To: 1861; Birth Year: 1790; Birth Year Range: 10; County: ABERDEEN;

Refine your search

Jump to page: of 1 (1 records)
No Year Surname/Maiden Name Forename Mother'sSurname OtherSurnames S ex Age District City/County/MR GROSData
1 1860 MCALPIN JOHN GRAHAM M 68 GLENMUICK, TULLICH AND GLENGAIRN /ABERDEEN 201/00 0007

You will need credits for Scotland's People to look at the full record

Sylann

Sylann Report 18 Oct 2015 19:10

WE did look at that census , but I think following that family realised it wasn't our John
by 1861 when his son George died, he was deceased
Gone through all the deaths for John McAlpine 1847 when his daughter Stewart married to 1861, nothing matched but 2 were paupers with no info.
I have heard that families didn't own up to being family so they didn't pay ??

The problem is that their are 2 John McAlpine's married to Margaret's Donaldson ours and Spence both in Linlithgow.

Sylann

Sylann Report 18 Oct 2015 19:22

That John aged 68 wife is Margaret , but it doesn't say what he worked as
and his birth would be 1792?

with the 1841 census saying 55 I was thinking of his birth being 1780-1789?