Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 ranks

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 16 Apr 2016 11:24

I'm just reading a good novel about the effects of WW! on all the 'Spare Women' left unmarried after the loss of so many men. It keeps referring to someone as a
Sergeant Major whilst making it very clear that he was an officer. I have never heard of this rank as being commissioned and it seems a strange error in an otherwise very factually correct book. I've tried googling but with no success - does anyone know the answer to satisfy my curiosity please?

Sue

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Apr 2016 11:49

Think both you and the author are right!

sergeant major

noun: sergeant major; plural noun: sergeant majors; noun: regimental sergeant major; plural noun: regimental sergeant majors; noun: battery sergeant major; plural noun: battery sergeant majors

1 a warrant **officer** in the British army whose job is to assist the adjutant of a regiment or battalion ( regimental sergeant major ) or a subunit commander ( company sergeant major, battery sergeant major, etc.).
2.a high rank of non-commissioned officer in the US army, above master sergeant and below warrant officer.
Commonwealth of Nations forces

A sergeant major is an appointment, not a rank. It is normally held by the senior warrant officer of an army or marine unit. These appointments are made at several levels, for example: the senior warrant officer of a company, battery or squadron; the senior warrant officer of a battalion or regiment. The title normally consists of the unit title (e.g. 'company') followed by 'sergeant major', and abbreviated by the initials (e.g. CSM). A sergeant major of a regiment or battalion is known as a regimental sergeant major, rather than a "regiment sergeant major" or "battalion sergeant major"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_major

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Apr 2016 12:21

My father-in-law was a Regimental Sergeant Major and was classed as a Warrant Officer.

Kath. x

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 16 Apr 2016 13:31

Thank you both for the replies, but I'm still a bit puzzled Detective as we can't both be right!! Reading what you have said certainly seems to imply that it was a non-commissioned rank, but this character talks of going to the Officers Mess, wearing a Sam Browne belt etc. I do have a fair bit of military knowledge being an ex WRAF Officer myself with a great interest in WW1 so hate mistakes/mysteries!

Sue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Apr 2016 13:36

Well my father-on-law certainly had a Sam Browne belt. We actually still have his 1940's uniform including his Sam Browne belt. My grandson took it to school when he was younger when they were doing a project on WW2.

Kath. x

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 16 Apr 2016 14:06

Thanks Kath - was just being curious so probably one of those silly little mysteries that never get solved!

Sue