Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Circumstances surrounding death in 1918

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Graham

Graham Report 6 Aug 2016 15:39

A relative of mine, Private 81248 Geoffrey George Smith, died aged 18yrs. 1st Nov 1918 in Ballymena, Antrim, whilst serving with the 4th (Reserve) Battalion Devonshire Regiment (Territorials). He is listed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission but I have no clue as to what the circumstances of his death were. I have also been unable to locate a Medal index card?

Any help would be most appreciated.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Aug 2016 15:49

This gives his place of death as "home":-

First name(s) GEOFFREY GEORGE
Last name SMITH
Service number 81248
Rank PRIVATE
Regiment Devonshire Regiment
Battalion 4th (Reserve) Battalion (Territorials).
Birth place COVENTRY
Residence LEAMINGTON, WARWICKS
Enlistment place COVENTRY
Death year 1918
Death day 1
Death month 11
Cause of death Died
Death place Home
Theatre of war Home
Supplementary Notes -
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Aug 2016 16:58

You should be able to use the following references to buy his death certificate:-

First name(s) Geoffrey George
Last name Smith
Age at death 18
Birth year 1900
Registered year 1918
Registered quarter/year Oct - Dec 1918
Registration district Ballymena
Volume 1
Page 78
County Antrim
Country Ireland
Record set Irish Deaths 1864 - 1958
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Deaths & burials
Collections from Ireland

Kath. x

safc

safc Report 6 Aug 2016 17:47

http://www.militaryimages.net/media/geoffrey-george-smith.95471/

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 6 Aug 2016 21:17

(below relates)

Chris :)

08 November 1918 - Leamington Spa Courier - Leamington, Warwickshire

Local War Items.
Pte. Geoffrey G. Smith, 4th Devons (stationed in Ireland) died in Ballymena Hospital of double pneumonia. Joined the Forces on 26th August last, proceeded to Ireland the next week. He was admitted to hospital on October 21st, where he remained until he died. Previous to joining up, he was apprenticed at the Rover Motor Body Works at Coventry, and was a member of the Leamington Church Lads Brigade.

(also mentioned)

(of 29, Eagle Street, Leamington, second son of the late Charles Smith and Mrs. Smith. His elder brother serving in France.
Deceased was brought from Ireland on Tuesday, and the funeral took place in Leamington Cemetery yesterday (Thursday) the coffin being draped in the Union Jack. He was 19 years of age.)

http://tinyurl.com/jmf5tfa

(Find A Grave)

Private G Smith
Birth: unknown
Death: Nov. 1, 1918
Note: LEAMINGTON (WHITNASH ROAD) CEMETERY
Burial: Leamington Cemetery
Leamington Spa
Warwick District
Warwickshire, England
Plot: 89. 26.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Aug 2016 23:15

The newspaper article would explain why you can't find a medal card - he'd joined too late to be entitled to the 14 or 14/15 Star, neither had he served overseas in a theatre of war or had he left native shore. Ireland wasn't 'overseas' until after Partition in 1921
http://tinyurl.com/ha5me4b

Graham

Graham Report 7 Aug 2016 10:20

Thank you everyone for your kind help. I'm quite new to these Message Boards but I have been most impressed with the responses I have received. I value all the information you have provided. All the best.