Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pioneer Corps, WW2

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

orewabrian

orewabrian Report 14 Aug 2016 04:38

My father Nathaniel Worsfold, was in the Pioneer Corps, Derby 6th Feb 1942," paid by the pay office in Bournemouth, Sussex" was stamped on his marriage certificate.

A family story is the he saved the life of a soldier who had been injured. They were in the back of a truck when my father asked the driver to stop. Dad found that the soldier was bleeding badly from a cut artery and put pressure on the wound until help arrived.

I cannot find any info about my father. What was he doing at that time. What would he do in the Pioneer Corps. He was 40 at the time.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Brian Worsfold http://www.genesreunited.co.nz/boards/post?type=new&bk=28#

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 14 Aug 2016 10:56

Taken from 1939 register- is this your father?:

Worsford Household (3 People) 15 Reld Close , Uckfield R.D., Sussex, England

Nathaniel E Worsford 02 May 1902 Male Duties Hairdresser Married (British Red Cross written in side margin)
Winifred L Worsford 03 Nov 1912 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married
2 closed records here.
Brian Flockton Bateman (Otherwise) 29 Jan 1918 Male Grocer Assistant (Provisions) Single
2 closed records here.

(Unsure of the 'Duties Hairdresser' transcription- could be Au? Handresser?)
-------------------------------------------------

Kent & Sussex Courier - Friday 27 January 1933
At Uckfield Congregational Church last week, the Rev. F J Layton officiating the wedding took place of Winifred Louise Filtness edlest daughter of Mr & Mrs W C J Filtness of 24 Hampstead Gardens, Uckfield to Nathaniel Ernest Worsfold, second son of Mr & Mrs Charles F Worsold of Worthing. The Bridegroom has been at Uckfield just over two years in business, and both he and the bride are Sunday School workers, as well as leaders of the Boy's Club in connection with the church.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 14 Aug 2016 15:00

If he was in the pioneer corps during WW2 his service records will still be with the MOD and are not online. Look on here to find out what to do

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Records will cost £30 (could take a few months to arrive) unless your mother is still alive and she can send for them free.

:-)