Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

roy william turner 2512343

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 1 Feb 2017 17:54

leading air craft man born 1933 service R A F 1951 CIVAL OCCUPATION HAWKER Can any one help with what countries he went to and what he did thank you

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 1 Feb 2017 19:32

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1328736

(doesn't look like anything found on above previous, relating)

Chris :)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Feb 2017 22:29

Are you sure there aren't any postings listed on the Service Records you have? They might be down as what might seem strange abbreviations.

If that is the case, copy them here and one of our members with RAF experience might be able to decypher them.

Although earlier than your period, if our relative wasn't still around we wouldn't have had a clue where his postings where, They're all there, but we didn't have the knowledge to interpret them.

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Feb 2017 06:19

it says unit IRU DATE OF MOVEMENT 29/03/51 3RS 20/06/51 LYTHAMB 30/01/52 2ND TAF 14/02/52 365 SAGS UNIT 15/02/52 H,E 23/03/52 5P.DC 23/03/52 H RESERVES 22/04/53 RANK AE II CHARACTER EX TRADE U/P W.OP THEN RANK LAC TRADE WOP THATS ALL I CAN SEE THANK YOU I WOULD BE GRATEFULL IF ANY OF THE MEMBERS WITH RAF EXPERIENCE COULD HELP ME

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 2 Feb 2017 09:22

LythamB could be RAF Lytham St Annes which was a transit camp. He would have been sent there to await his posting.

2nd TAF I believe was Germany

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Feb 2017 13:28

thank you so must the service record is hard to understand it said he was a u\p w .op and a w.o.p what would he have done and trade mustering recruit G.P.D 29.3.51 TELE SOMETHING UNIT RST LIGGRC DISCHARGE LTS DISCHARGED FROM CLASS G RESERVES ON 27/2/1964 DATE OF ENLISTMENT 29.3.51 SERVICE COMMENCED 29.3.51 HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHERE HE SERVED IN GERMANY THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 2 Feb 2017 14:07

I am ex WRAF but from another era. My OH served 25 years but well after conscription. I'm not sure whether 2nd TAF refers to a camp or it's RAF abbreviations for the whole of it's operations in Germany. If you want a flavour of the time this article is very good.

http://www.rafjever.org/93sqnper009.htm

I recognised 2nd TAF from the article which I found a few days ago.

Recruits were taken to a basic training camp and then on to a trade training camps. It looks like anyone going abroad got sent to a transit camp whilst waiting for their posting. In those days there'd be thousands in the forces.

The men served 2 years so your relative would be in from 1951 - 1953 after that he would be on reserve for some number of years. Looks like 11 years for your relative as he was discharged from the reserves in 1964. The men would only be called back if there was a big problem somewhere. Most would only be in for the 2 years and breathe a sigh of relief when the reserve years were finished.

Many of the sections he went to and their abbreviations would be finished by the time I arrived and now very few camps are left. You could try Google or see if there's any RAF National Services forums, people who served in that era may be able to help you far more than I can.

:-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Feb 2017 18:07

thank you xx

Unknown

Unknown Report 2 Feb 2017 19:33

would he have been on the morse code did this mean he didn't fly

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 2 Feb 2017 21:55

I don't know what type of signals they had. He wasn't of the correct rank to be a pilot or navigator. I don't know if they still had air gunners at the time but most aircrew were sergeant and above.

There are far more ground jobs than flying jobs so the chances were he'd be ground staff.

Is there any reference to pay because he would have got extra money called flying pay. He's also have to be very fit and have a medical code of A1 G1 Z1, normal requirements were A4 G1 Z1.

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Feb 2017 00:13

hi all it says promotions AC2 AND LAC SPECIAL QUALIFATIONS EDUC TEST SEPT 195 2 PT 1 CASS X TESTED PASS NOTHING ABOUT PAY MISCELLANEOUS MED CAT FIT G D I CURRENT ENGAGEMENT N . S A . CIVAL OCCUPATION HAWKER EMPLOYER IND.ZEG.4346 DIS.190 I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR TIME AND EFFORT THANK YOU

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 3 Feb 2017 07:32

To get promotion he would have to take education and trade tests. The rules for the RAF are very different to the army. LAC in those days was the first promotion after you had qualified in your trade and become an AC2.

By the time I was in AC1 and AC2 had gone so I started as an ACW (Aircraftwoman) did my trade training and took trade exams and at that point became a LACW (Leading Aircraftwoman) and then at 1 year in trade you take educational and trade exams and become SACW (Senior Aircraftwoman). Your relative's LAC (Leading Aircraftman) would be the similar to my SACW. For men you just leave off the W for woman. You had to do trade and educational exams to become corporal qualified but then had to wait roughly 7 - 8 years in my trade for the vacancy. I did 5 years so I was corporal qualified but had no chance of getting any higher as I didn't do long enough.

Your relative went as high as he could in the time he did.

Not quite sure what his civil occupation means as it's ambiguous. Was he technical? The reason I ask is he could either be a door to door salesman or he could have been employed by Hawker the aircraft company who made some of the most famous aircraft.

The medical qualification is different to the one I know but seems to refer to a general fitness so that would mean a ground job.

This is what I was told in my basic training. To give you an idea about the amount of ground jobs compared to flying jobs think of a pyramid with a pilot or other flying job stood at the top - it took 20 ground staff to get him in the air.

Read that link I sent you to get an idea what the RAF was like in the early 50s and where your relative went in Germany.

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Feb 2017 08:14

thank you so much for all your help and time

Unknown

Unknown Report 3 Feb 2017 08:36

he lived in stratford east london if he was a wop a wireless operator would that have been like morse code

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 Feb 2017 19:00

Had a chat with OH as he was technical and it's possible that morse was still being used but this is well before our time. Sorry we can't give you a definite answer but we weren't in the RAF then.

As an aside we met a friend's 90 year old father a few years back, he was a morse operator at Bletchley and he was on duty the night prior to D Day and he sent the message out to start D Day.

Some operators during the war were so good that they could identify individual operators who were sending them messages. This would be very important for people behind enemy lines because if they were caught the operator in Britain could tell if enemy personnel were sending miss information out instead of their agents.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Feb 2017 09:29

thank you

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Feb 2017 18:07

hi guys my great grandfather was oswld turner sometimes owen born14 aug1883 mile end can any one tell me where he is buried

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Feb 2017 18:08

hi guys my great grandfather was oswld turner sometimes owen born14 aug1883 mile end can any one tell me where he is buried

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 21 Feb 2017 19:09

When and where was his Death?...

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

(should be on above)

Chris :)

(not sure what to make of findings on below)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1327209

Edits (1961 Probate reference on above, 4, Stopford Road, Plaistow, Essex. Died Langthorne Hospital)

https://www.deceasedonline.com/

(not seeing on above, perhaps City of London Cemetery then)

http://www.genesreunited.co.nz/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1331297?d=desc

(and just found above has also!)