Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Mother Found

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 25 Mar 2011 10:28

I do believe things happen for a reason !

I mentioned to a friend that my hobby is Genealogy/Tracing Family Trees. He mentioned that his Mam was adopted, so I asked for all the information to see what I could find, with her agreement of course. All she had to go on was her birth name and the age her mother was when she gave birth.

I found a match on here and emailed the lady 4 months ago, but the email is still unopened. I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago asking what I should do next. Anne Lee replied to me and said she was a member of Tracesmart and would have a look for me. She found a few possibilities. She cross referenced them with 192.com and one stood out as it had the lady's husband on also.

I wrote to the lady initially just asking if she was a member of GR and that I was trying to find her (no mention of her daughter at this stage). She replied confirming that she was the lady I was looking for. I replied again, this time saying a friend of mine mentioned that his mam wanted to trace her family tree, but wasn't sure where to start. I gave her name and details, and only the year of her birth and asked if there was perhaps a family tree connection with her.

She replied yesterday afternoon saying she too was searching for the same lady born in the same year and had been for years. I called her straight away to confirm the date of birth and BINGO, it was a match.

My friend or his mam knew nothing of my writing to this lady and although I wanted to tell my friend in person initially, I just blurted it out over the phone and he quickly ended the phone call as he was in tears. He collected his mam last night and brought her to my house, although she wasn't told where she was going.

I asked her first of all what she would think if I told her I'd had a reply from the lady on GR. She didn't say a word, but when I said I'd had no reply, she wondered what she was doing there. She had no idea what was coming next. She was absolutely over the moon, shocked and no doubt had loads of other emotions too. She almost thought the not knowing was better than being rejected "again", although her birth mother didn't have a choice at the time.

I have opened up a whole new life for her (well Anne has) and I can't imagine what she or her birth mother is going through today. I am just thrilled that through this site, two people have been brought together. Hopefully phone calls and a visit will follow.

So if a series of events happen just like mine, please please please act on it. I was extremely lucky in that it worked out for me, it could easily have gone the other way. It was a huge risk to take and one that I probably didn't think of at the time. I am just thrilled to bits.

So once again, a big massive thank you to Anne Lee for our happy ending. If anyone needs Anne's help in any way, please pm me and I will pass on her details. Thanks also to all those members who replied to my thread with help and advice and for just being there for me.

I love this site xx