Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Letter's from the Trenches.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colin

Colin Report 5 Apr 2011 10:57

I have had a few successes from this site,but the one that stands out for me, is I managed to trace,through Genes Reunited tree's the Grand-Daughter.of a soldier of the King.s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry,who was killed in action,on the 29th of November 1917,in France,can you imagine her joy when her Grand- father's letters dropped through her letter box almost one hundred years after they were written. The letters nine in all,gave an insight into what it was really like in the trenches,in one he spoke of having not taken off his clothes for thirteen day's.and had never been so cold ,in all his life,one can only imagine what they went through. The familly would not have known of the existance of these letter's,because they were written to the family he,and his pals were billeted with a hundred and fifty miles away from there home town of Normanton Yorkshire,England,before they went over to France in January 1917