Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My Phelps line

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mark

mark Report 5 Feb 2013 02:39

When I joined Genes Rreunited, I had a goal of tracing my Phelps line further back in time. The earliest direct Phelps ancestor I knew of was Thomas Harper Phelps b. 1789. I created a few threads on the Genes Reunited Community feature, and people came to my aid. I was given birth record info for Thomas and his siblings which gave me the first names of both his parents. I then was given marriage record info for a Edward Smithsend Phelps and Sarah Freeman who were married in the same county where he was born(Worchestershire) shortly before his oldest brother was born. I did a search on the internet for Edward Smithsend Phelps and found a website which listed his birth and death dates, as well as where he died (Gloucestershire). This website also listed a few generations back in time from him. I then searched a website for Gloucestershire Wills and found that he had a will probated in 1821 and that I could order a copy. I did so and the will listed his living children at the time of his death - one of whom was Thomas Harper Phelps. The Genes Reunited community got the ball rolling for me and without them I don't think I would have found my Phelps line in Gloucestershire. Thanks Again.

Mark Phelps