Success Stories

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Pious Shepherd of Salisbury Plain

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MauriceW

MauriceW Report 3 Jan 2014 22:34

As a young family we had always been told that we were descended from the Shepherd of Salisbury Plain, David Saunders. In 1795 the evangelical writer Hannah More, a friend and supporter of William Wilberforce in the fight against slavery, wrote a religious tract about him which became a best seller and is still in print today.

I very soon found that our Family Tree was wrong and the line of descent impossible. Disappointed that the family story might not be true I tried hard to find out the truth, but kept on coming up against brick walls..

Five or six years went by and a lot of research was done, by corresponding with people on Genes Reunited and by visiting a number of other genealogy sites; several visits were made to the Wiltshire Family History Centre, but all in vain. I finally came up with a solution which almost satisfied me but which I just could not prove. Then last autumn I joined a relative at the Centre and after some searching she found a marriage which began to point us in the right direction, but which left us with another question to solve. Finally I found a local Wiltshire lady who provided the missing link for me - I had previously found a dozen children of the Shepherd's daughter Sarah but missed the 13th. This 13th daughter proved to be my great-great-great-grandmother and the link was proved beyond all doubt. Well worth all the effort! :-)