Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Living Relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyofKent

LadyofKent Report 5 May 2011 14:52

What on earth has happened to this board. I have sent replies and helped out a number of people including today and yet every single one has said No replies. It does not give a good impression to anyone wanting to post that nobody replies to them.

RobG

RobG Report 5 May 2011 15:14

Leeane,

As part of the changes to the boards today, the Find Living Relatives board is now set up so that only the thread originator can see any replies. I think the logic is that replis could well contain info on living people. However I do agree that the number of posts should reflect the actual number. Maybe they can't have one without the other.

Thelma

Thelma Report 5 May 2011 15:47

I think that you are sending them a message not adding to a thread.
Check your "Sent messages"

MaryMc

MaryMc Report 5 May 2011 15:53

That's how I understand it too SatNav

LadyofKent

LadyofKent Report 5 May 2011 16:24

Unfortunately I dont get a chance of adding to a thread. The only option is Send Message which goes straight through to the originator and doesnt reflect on the board that anyone has bothered to reply to help them.

If I was looking for my siblings, mother, father etc I would go to Living Relatives Boards have a look and see pages and pages of No Replies and I wouldnt bother to post a message. Surely this is defeating the object.

jax

jax Report 5 May 2011 19:45

This board is a silly idea as it is not private they can still post what they like on the board and no one knows what anybody else has found if anything at all.

I will not bother trying to help any on there apart from the odd have you searched the trees

jax

Petef

Petef Report 5 Sep 2012 14:29

I an sorry to learn that some members are not satisfied with the way Find Living Relatives is organised.
You might find other very popular websites re 'missing relatives' do not have everyone's personal information exposed for the world to see. Many of the searches are conducted by PM. It is much kinder to the Poster, is more professional and encourages more people who are skilled in this area of research to respond. It is a different way of researching than the way we search for ancestors, not everyone realises that.

I feel sure Genes Reunited are pleased with the number of missing people who have been located on this their site. The
"Find Living Relatives" section has become a welcome addition to Genes Reunited for which many people are very grateful. Thank you Genes.

Peter

jax

jax Report 5 Sep 2012 14:52

Peter

Why have you dragged up a thread that is 16 months old?

This was posted when pm's were the only way of replying to a living relatives thread.

Yes it has been noticed you have been replying by private message yourself...but it would be helpful if you actually mentioned it on the thread to save anyone else wasting their time looking for the same thing.

That was the problem when they first set up this board....No one knew what anyone else was sending...if anything at all

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Sep 2012 17:53

Hear hear!

In the early days, I'd found some overseas info for a poster. After a tentative opening, she had mentioned that no one had PM'ed her after 5 hours on a Saturday. It was easy info to find, but no-one knew what if anything had been sent and presumably didn't want to inundate the unsuspecting OP with duplicate info.

If people want to answer a poster by PM, by all means do so but give some clue on the thread eg 1960 marriage of daughter 'C' sent, or possible children Smith/Jones births. Even better (for the OP) Contact details sent!