Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Icon on Threads

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

K

K Report 5 May 2011 18:39

One of the best recent innovations, which seems to have stopped working, was the icon beside a thread showing when a new message had been added.

The new message element disapeared when you opened the thread so you could tell when a new message had been added later. This seems to have stopped. Can this be reinstated.? It could be just a glich.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 5 May 2011 22:17

contacted GR about this earlier but not had a reply from them as yet

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 May 2011 00:05

Thirded

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 May 2011 00:32

and again

It was so much easier to tell whether new posts had been made when the icon changed from new post to no new posts.

Much easier than trying to remember the name of the person who made the most recent post!

Please, please GR, change back to having the New Post icon change to No New Post icon.

sylvia

Lynski

Lynski Report 6 May 2011 03:56

I have contacted GR too about this too.

Huia

Huia Report 7 May 2011 09:09

These are my sentiments too. I have been wasting time looking at threads only to find that there are no new postings on them. Please can GR switch the icons on to work again?

Huia.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 7 May 2011 10:38

I too would like that icon reinstated. It was just so useful

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 7 May 2011 16:41

Am I imagining it or is this now partly working? I seem to have a 'no new posts icon' where nothing has been pasted since yesterday

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 May 2011 20:08

You are correct, Ann!

I have 'no new posts' icon showing on My Threads.

I haven't checked on any other borards yet.

THANK YOU, GR

sylvia

K

K Report 7 May 2011 20:31

Just checked and mine are sadly still the same. Fingers crossed that it will improve if yours have.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 May 2011 03:28

Mine have now gone back to showing only New Post

Most annoying!

Lynski

Lynski Report 10 May 2011 22:59

This is still not corrected............
I did write to them and got what appears to be an automated response telling me -

Inevitably, we do receive a lot of feedback and suggestions from our members but please be assured that your email will be individually read by our Management team and that ALL member feedback is taken into account when deciding on future website development.

Future website development? I just want it put back the way it was - new posts icon changes back to no new posts icon after you have read it!

Huia

Huia Report 11 May 2011 00:01

I think GR are putting the no new messages icon on any from previous days, but not on the current days threads. Well, the threads are moving rather quickly now we have the new avatars, it has encouraged people to chat a lot.

Huia.

K

K Report 16 May 2011 13:19

I still don't like the present use of icons. When I opened and looked at a thread the new message icon would disappear and as a forgetful person I would then be aware of which threads I had looked at.

Surely the date and position on the board does the job the icons are now being used for. I thought this was a glich that would be rectified but it now appears to be a permanent retrograde step.

Please can the previous situation be reinstated.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 May 2011 20:13

please please let it be changed back to the "old" system of "new" and "no new" icons

Huia

Huia Report 31 May 2011 08:27

Still the problem of the icon for new message on the day's posts. I cant remember who was the last poster on every thread I have visited. Please reinstate the no-new-message icon on the day's posts as well as previous days.

Huia.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 31 May 2011 08:46

If it is a case of having our little envelope reinstated and losing the tick to say a question has been answered then our little envelope wins hands down. However, if it means losing a different new feature, why not ask us which we would prefer. This could be done very easily by sticking a thread at the top of this board asking for opinion.

To make it easier for you to read through you could ask that responses be either yes to reinstatement on little envelope or no to reinstatement of little envelope. You could add that any post that do not have the one word answer will be discarded.

To ensure that the majority of members using the boards see the proposal, then sticky a thread on all boards directing to the question. I have not said announcements because not many people look at them.

Huia

Huia Report 31 May 2011 09:47

What is this green tick that people talk about? I havent seen it at all. Is that because I am on IE7? I cant see emoticons either, but that doesnt worry me.

Huia.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 31 May 2011 09:54

Hi Huia

The originator of a thread and in some cases posters on a thread can tick that a question has been answered. However, it isn't working properly because only the originator of the thread should be able to say whether or not their question has been answered. Mainly on Finding Ancestors, Genealogy Chat and Finding Living Relatives boards.

A bit of a waste of time in my opinion because all the originator needs to do is edit their original post and add sorted.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jun 2011 04:05

It now appears that all icons show as open for threads on which postings have been made "today"

but all threads with dates before "today" show as closed envelopes, indicating read by me ..................... regardless of whether I myself have read them

Not quite what used to happen, and not what we were asking for!

sylvia