Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ENH: Tips/Order of Boards

Page 2 + 1 of 3

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 5 May 2011 23:36

but people have always posted asking for living relatives on the open boards. At least with this board all replies are private

agree about genealogy chat board - tips is a better name

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 5 May 2011 23:13

Now I have thought about it, I concede that genealogy chat can be misconstrued as general chat about genealogy and not a board for tips but it was never used as just a tips board. Lookups were also posted on there. It would be better to have its original name back and strictly for tips and advice.

I don't like the fact that the living relatives board is not private and posts show up in general internet searches and I have made my feelings about this known to GR.

However, on the whole I like the changes

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 5 May 2011 22:09

info at the top of the board in detail - replies are only possible by pm

as there were many inconsistencies of what went on each board, especially via 'surnames' merging them seems a good idea. As there were many threads on 'tips' which were more requests than tips I think we just have to live with those that are there already and hope they eventually 'disappear' leaving the genuine tips nearer the top

Perchino

Perchino Report 5 May 2011 21:20

I also have concerns about "Find living relatives". Where is the information on any safeguards that are in place?

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 5 May 2011 20:49

And because I feel so strongly about the usefulness of tips threads, I gave quite a lot of them a nudge.

I requested that genes reunited explore the layout of rootschat, family tree forum, and genealogists sites.

Perchino

Perchino Report 5 May 2011 20:31

Neither can I. Chat is chat and tips are tips. Since when did the two words have the same or similar meanings?

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 5 May 2011 20:26

I cannot accept that "Genealogy chat" and tips threads are the same.

Perchino

Perchino Report 5 May 2011 19:46

Well we have Derek's wonderful thread on Derbyshire look ups under "Genealogy chat" and other threads offering look ups under "Find ancestors". Seems to be a problem with consistency.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 5 May 2011 19:35

I have to say I disagree Perchino, I quite like it. I think the purpose of each board is now more clearly defined.

Perchino

Perchino Report 5 May 2011 18:54

All I can say is are we supposed to be impressed????
What a jumble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!