Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ENH: Move delete button CLOSED

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CarolB

CarolB Report 7 May 2011 19:45

Do you think it is possible to move the 'delete button' to another line or wherever so it does not get in the way of other tasks ie Edit.
I have just deleted my thread on the 'Find Ancestors' board by mistake and will have to re do the look ups.
This has been an occurence over many years by many members.
Thank You

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 7 May 2011 23:02

There used to be a little box that asked if you were sure Yes/No that you wanted to delete to stop this happening ?

CarolB

CarolB Report 8 May 2011 21:22

Hi Lindsey

That may have been some years ago but not for a long time have we had this box, I think we should have it back as you say to stop it happening or my suggestion of moving the delete button to another area.
The mouse moves quickly when you think you have pressed edit and it moves to delete.
A lot of good information has been deleted by accident and this may help to stop that happening.

regards
CarolB

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 8 May 2011 21:23

I definitely agree.

There's a mishmash of Report as Abuse - Delete - Edit at the top of one's own posts, not always in the same format (sometimes in a straight line, sometimes over two lines), and it can be confusing.

There need to be separate boxes for each of the three.

philmoir

philmoir Report 2 Jul 2011 21:23

This mish-mash occurs generally when someone has a long sitename with no spaces and causes the first column to be extra wide, thereby squeezing the other two columns. Note that the columns match in each row, and are not a separate group for each post.

Now that we have implemented a "confirm" dialogue box, I suspect this is not so relevant, since you would have to click by accident on both the Delete and then on the Yes (on Confirm pop up).

Would you agree?

Joy

Joy Report 2 Jul 2011 23:00

I look forward to the time when one can quote a previous post ;-)

"Now that we have implemented a "confirm" dialogue box, I suspect this is not so relevant, since you would have to click by accident on both the Delete and then on the Yes (on Confirm pop up).

Would you agree?"

Absolutely; it is rather similar to when one deletes a recorded television programme from the hard drive of the whatever it is called machine and the question appears (words to the affect of) "are you sure you want to delete this?" and the default highlight is on "no" which gives one time to reconsider.

jax

jax Report 3 Jul 2011 17:13

If you are typing up a thread where is there the option to delete?

jax

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 3 Jul 2011 19:46

I was going to ask the same thing, I can only see 'preview' and submit, and the same again when you press preview. No delete button at all, you have to manually delete or just navigate off the page.

CarolB

CarolB Report 4 Jul 2011 00:11

Hi Philmoir.....Yes totally agree, thank you GR for saving us deleting by mistake.

Jax TW...
this is now what pops up
'Are you sure you wish to delete the selected post? WARNING: If you are deleting the first post in the thread, it will delete the whole thread'

if you for example you were wishing to EDIT your post within a thread but the mouse slips to DELETE as they are close together, sometimes you click too fast then you have mistakenly deleted..... but now that is impossible.

regards
CarolB

:-)

jax

jax Report 4 Jul 2011 01:17

I know there is now a box if you click delete, but cannot see how you can delete by mistake when editing...or is it just me?

jax

TeresaW

TeresaW Report 4 Jul 2011 11:26

HI CarolB ~~~~
Yes I get that one too, but not on the reply box, I dont' see how you can accidentally delete anything from the reply box because there is no delete button there. (in reference to what Piglets Pal was saying).

CarolB

CarolB Report 4 Jul 2011 21:49

lol Jax you can if you have too quick a hand and no eye co-ordination, it was easily done before the fix

TW yep, I was talking about the one you get ......not anything in the reply box where there is no delete button........a simple confusion to what Piglets Pal was thinking of, I would assume.

regards
CarolB

jax

jax Report 4 Jul 2011 22:13

Is'nt it annoying when someone deletes their post (Pigletspal) now it makes my question look stupid aghhhhh

Yep I get the accidently deleting in the past but not now though :-)

jax

philmoir

philmoir Report 5 Jul 2011 17:07

Closing immediately as confirmation has negated reason for request.