Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Australians are Overcharged by Genes Reunited

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bruce

Bruce Report 16 May 2011 11:14

Hi

I am discontinuing my membership because the fee charged to Australians does not represent a fair currency conversion. I have written to you before re this, but received a "go away" answer.

Why don't you charge everyone the UK figure, and let the credit card companies do the conversion?

rgds, Bruce

Gai

Gai Report 16 May 2011 12:06

Hi Bruce,

Have you taken into account that the price doesn't change even thought the currency rates change daily.

Regards,
Gai

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 16 May 2011 12:20

I cant even find anywhere on the site how much it is to join!!! let alone which country we are in!!

Gai

Gai Report 16 May 2011 12:23

Bruce,

I received my credit card statement today and I had bought two certificates from the GRO. So both certificates come to 18.50 pounds and I was charged AUD28.68 for them and another charge of 0.85 which was the international transaction fee.

The most I have paid for an individual certificate was AUD18.10.

I like the fact GR gives you an Australian Dollar price that doesn't change whatever the exchange rate is, then there is no nasty surprises.

Gai

Gai

Gai Report 16 May 2011 12:30

Kempina,

If you have standard membership then to find the cost to upgrade is at the top of this page. There is your name, then what membership you have and then upgrade, pay per view, my account and sign out.

When you sign up they ask what country you are in so you only get the membership cost in your currency.

Gai :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 May 2011 14:15

So what IS the membership tariff for joining in Aus dollars? and what would that be in UK exchange ( average)? just curious now lol

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 May 2011 18:32

Can one shop the different portals and pay through the one with the best rate?

I know I pay in pounds at the .co.uk portal -- because there is no Canadian portal for GenesReunited.

At Ancestry, I pay through .co.uk and not .ca, because I want only the basic UK sub and I can't get that through the .co.uk portal.

Bruce, if you use .com.au, try logging in to .co.uk and see what your subscription choices here are at that portal.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 May 2011 18:36

I just clicked Upgrade.

I currently have standard -- the lowest rate, that allows for messaging and posting but no records access.

I was given only one option (other than pay per view), Platinum, thus:

12 month plan £6.67 per month
6 month plan £8.33 per month
1 month plan £19.95 per month

I get the same thing at .com.au though. ?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 May 2011 23:11

I pay through .co.uk

and pay only the UK price ........... and have done since I joined in 2004.

Gai ....................... have you ever looked at buying your certificate directly from the General Record Office www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

you charge the UK price to your credit card

UK price £9.50

The usual advice from all of us is that that is cheaper than buying through other sites

GR just orders the certiifcates from GRO .... so they are going to pass on some extra charge to you, aren't they?

sylvia

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 16 May 2011 23:58

Sylvia ... Gai said ... "I had bought two certificates >> from the GRO".

;)

Ah! The Aus $ is doing well! It used to be way low compared to the Cdn $, and now it's

1.00 CAD = 0.970257 AUD

-- higher than the Cdn $ !!

and that's with the Cdn $ as high as it is.

1.00 CAD = 1.02579 USD

1.00 GBP = 1.53291 AUD

for info

Gai

Gai Report 17 May 2011 04:11

Hi Sylvia,

I always buy my certificates from the GRO as I picked that tip up from the boards when I first started my family tree. The $18.10 certificate I bought was the first one in 2009 when the GRO price was 7 odd pounds before the price rise. At that time I seem to remember the exchange rate at about 0.40 pounds to the Aussie dollar. I have purchased a few certificates and I know for certain one last year was AUD$16.85 as I purchased it on behalf of my cousin so she paid me for it.

Rambling Rose the old cost for Standard membership was $AUD19.95 for 6 months and with the price rises I believe that it was going to $24.95 for a 6 months. When I renewed earlier this year I was charged AUD$15.96 much to my surprise as it's not often you get something cheaper.

Gai

Gai Report 17 May 2011 04:21

If I was going to upgrade to platinum then the following charges apply.

12 month plan = AUD10.67 per month
6 month plan = AUD 13.33 per month
1 month plan = AUD 31.95 per month.

I'm sure someone smarter than me will be able to work out from Janey's figures and my figures whether as Aussie are getting a raw deal.

Gai :-)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 18 May 2011 23:35

Did Bruce discontinue his membership then?? ;)

Posted the same thing twice, never returned.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 18 May 2011 23:40

Gai -- I should have given a source.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

AUD 10.67 = GBP 7.01

GBP 6.67 = AUD 10.15

Yes, that does look like about a 30 pence GBP / 50 cent AUD overcharge (per month) from the UK price ... fluctuations likely accounting for some of that, if the AUD has been rising.

Gai

Gai Report 19 May 2011 12:00

I was wondering what happened to Bruce but I still believe that for the cost GR is good value. I like the fact that the rate is in AUD and it never changes even thought the exchange rate does.

Knowing how much I was going to pay upfront was the reason I went with GR as I also look at The Genealogist and that only came with the subscription in pounds.

Janey, even if we are getting overcharge approx 50 cents per month in the scheme of things that is 2 cups of coffee over 12 months. So I really can't understand why Bruce is talking about canceling his membership over a pittance.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 19 May 2011 16:37

That's what I was getting at -- a bit of a pittance. ;)