Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

suggestion: that GR staff *read* the boards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 17 May 2011 20:22

Not for moderating purposes -- just for interest.

I really do have the feeling that nobody who works at GenesReunited ever just has a read of things on the various boards.

If they did that from time to time, they'd have a much better feel for who users are (I don't mean individuals necessarily, just what the characteristics of users are), what kinds of help regular users provide, what kinds of questions are asked, what common problems arise in the way the boards are used, etc. etc.

One would really hope that someone working in this kind of position would find the discussions on the boards *interesting*.

I've just been surprised at the response to a thread I started:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/general_chat/thread/1268603

(I would have thought it more suited to Genealogy Chat, but that seems to have been mostly turned into just another TTF board ... I don't know why someone thinks a 1911 look-up request is "genealogy chat" ...)

It's about drowning deaths past and swimming capabilities present, compared and contrasted.

I've been amazed at the number of regular posters here who have drowning deaths among their not too distant ancestors and their familes.

It's *interesting*!

Gai

Gai Report 18 May 2011 06:11

Janey,

From the day I joined GR I couldn't believe that on the boards they allowed people to post for look ups on FMP and Ancestry. Why would you allow others to openly use your opposition to find information for your members.

Also how can GR allow threads where people say only join GR for the standard membership and you are better of joining FMP or Ancestry. I remember when I first started and I took out gold membership so I could access the census records and I put a post on the boards to ask a question. Well did I feel berated by some who jumped down my throat so I deleted the thread. It took me a while to have the courage to post again and I remember when I did I was shaking. If it wasn't for some kind members who sent pm's I could have walked away from GR never to return.

If someone from GR were reading or moderating the boards then I'm sure that nasty experience I had could of been avoided.

Gai

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 May 2011 11:39

No idea if Estelle is still a member of GR team but she used to post on the boards when she needed help for her research so she would have an idea of what happens on the boards

Its the same old problem of members not reading guidelines etc

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 18 May 2011 11:58

That's so true GB. A lot of probs could be avoided if people just checked what to do first but must hold my hand up and say I didn't read everything as I should have done when I first joined.

Gai, it's the boards and those helpful members which make GR the successful site it is to be honest and it's unfortunate when some of those who do searches for people are sometimes 'snappy' with new and inexperienced members

I hope that now the boards show how many times someone has posted on the boards, that situation will ease off.

Although GR have stated that they will not be officially moderating the boards, I do wonder if they have someone who casts their eyes over what is going on......unofficially ;-)

Cx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 May 2011 16:27

Estelle is still a member. But when Genes first started more than one of the Genes admin team were members on here and would join in. That was when it was owned by Stephen and his wife who also used to join in, it was a small friendly (ish) concern then. However it 'growed', and got taken over by big business and lost its small and friendly approach, as it would have to I suppose to survive in big business.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 18 May 2011 17:08

Yeah, I know. ;)

But since the staff do "moderate" the boards, it would be nice to think that they have some experience of them apart from reading the complaints and the posts the complaints are about.

That thread about drowning deaths is one example of the kinds of interesting chats that do happen around here (and it really is interesting -- to see the depth of knowledge some people have gained about their ancestors and the social conditions of the times) -- along with the just frivolous friendly chats, all the work done on the help boards, etc. etc.

I really would like to think that the staff responsible for keeping order do have a feel for what goes on, on the boards, on a day-to-day basis.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 May 2011 17:37

I can't imagine, if it was me that worked there, not wanting to know more about things. It would have to make your job more interesting wouldn't it?