Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Patricia

Patricia Report 22 May 2011 00:15

I find it very time consuming trawling through death records. Could this be made easier?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 May 2011 03:32

try www.freebmd.org.uk

it's free

goes from July 1 1837 to, currently, about 1950

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 22 May 2011 17:37

I don't know how death records searches are organized at this site, so I can't comment knowledgeably.

If the question is about more recent deaths, unfortunately FreeBMD won't help now, and won't have recent deaths indexed for some time yet. (Although occasionally one does find recent records indexed, presumably if someone with an interest in a particular surname or place has taken on that task.) FreeBMD also seems to plan to go up only to 1984.

At Ancestry, death records to 2005 are in a database that is very easily and effectively searchable.

Even without a paid subscription, the search can be done and then narrowed down (e.g. searching for deaths in a particular year range, narrowing the range each time, using "exact search") and results usually obtained ... unless the name is very common, or the location not known, etc.

philmoir

philmoir Report 22 Jun 2011 12:05

Fully indexed deaths are NOW AVAILABLE to search for everyone, Platinum can view the transcriptions! No more trawling through pages and pages on names.

Enjoy - Phil