Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surname Search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ang

ang Report 24 May 2011 22:14

How many different ways do you think Bowes can be spelt? Im searching for thomas and mary a bowes-both born in ireland but were living in bradford fron at least 1868 as their children were born there- I can only find the family in the 1891 census and its driving me insane....suggestions would be gratefully received
angela

Rambling

Rambling Report 24 May 2011 22:20

It might be a mistranscription of Bowes rather than a different spelling, could be read as Bowers have you tried leaving off the surname when searching?

patchem

patchem Report 24 May 2011 22:30

Is this them in 1891?
1891 England Census
Thomas Bowes
Relation: Head Spouse's Name: Mary A Bowes
Civil parish: Bradford Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
County/Island: Yorkshire Country: England
Street Address: 5 Jane Court Occupation: mason's labourer
Registration district: Bradford Sub-registration district: Bradford East End
ED, institution, or vessel: 35 Piece: 3624 Folio: 52 Page Number: 10

Thomas Bowes 58
Mary A Bowes 54
Mary Bowes 23
Thomas Bowes 17
Ellen Bowes 15
Margaret Bowes 12

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 3624; Folio 52; Page 10; GSU roll: 6098734.

patchem

patchem Report 24 May 2011 22:35

Clue
In ancestry in 1881 they appear to be under Rowe

ang

ang Report 24 May 2011 22:37

Thanks I will try Bowers...I didnt know you could leave surname off- and yes thats them in 1891, but i cant find any of the family on other census...frustrating and time consuming!
thanks for the replys

ang

ang Report 24 May 2011 22:40

Thanks Patchem!! you are a star- Ive been looking for ages and it only took you 5 mins