Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Blogs

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Perchino

Perchino Report 26 May 2011 19:33

Help!! Has anyone else seen this under Community?
It appeared under Suggestions and then disappeared.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 26 May 2011 19:48

I can see it now. Perhaps GR should consider putting a link on the list of boards at the side so more people get to see it

Perchino

Perchino Report 26 May 2011 19:53

It has not yet reappeared. I made the mistake of clicking on it. The site was not happy, I lost the connection and had to resign myself in!

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 26 May 2011 20:02

Here is the link to the page

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/blog.page

It seems interesting

Perchino

Perchino Report 26 May 2011 20:08

Thank you.

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 26 May 2011 20:11

You're welcome

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2011 22:17

It's been up at the top right, very close to the top of the screen for several weeks.

I haven't been bothered enough to click on it!

sylvia

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 26 May 2011 22:45

Yeah, a lot more breathless advertising for the dumb Finding Families television show (from what I hear, the sort of thing one expects to see on Jerry Springer).

When did this site become a bottom of the ladder chat show?

And apparently we now have a resident amateur genealogist.

What fun.

Maybe he will join the rest of the team -- by which I mean *us* -- on the boards ...

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2011 22:48

and who is the resident amateur genealogist?

or are we not allowed to know?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 May 2011 23:05

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/blog.page/phil-moir

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 26 May 2011 23:16

Resident genealogist is Anthony Adolph

Phil Moir is a developer of GR and amateur genealogist the blog is an attempt to interact with members if only he could get the add comments to work.

Keep working on getting the site working properly first, then concentrate on your blog Phil it would be greatly appreciated :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 May 2011 23:25

oh well

never been a blogger

don't think I'll ever be a blogger!

or a tweeter

sylvia

Perchino

Perchino Report 28 May 2011 07:34

I was just curious. Isn't a blog more a form of chat? Perhaps we are going to have Genealogy Tips board and chat transferred onto a blog whether with GR or otherwise!

philmoir

philmoir Report 28 May 2011 18:54

Looks like I need a tough skin to survive making myself a visible target (just joking everyone!). In time I hope I can convert some of you to both enjoy what I write and maybe try yourself.

Yes, it is a bit like a forum. We had the same debate in the Genes office when we first started developing it. My hope is that it will for some people become more of place for recording their family stories, and either sharing them with family and contacts or with everyone. They will have more advanced functionality for loading content (i.e. pictures, links, etc.) and you will have the option to have comments on or off. I can see myself also using it to take notes that I want to keep private initially, but these might expand into something worth sharing.

"Amateur genealogist" - all that I mean is that I enjoy researching my own family history but I don't get paid to do it. ;-)

The reason the link has not been promoted with the last release is that the blog feature is still evolving. We wanted to push it out, and add functionality over the next few weeks as soon as it is properly tested and ready. Sorry I didn't give you the chance to give feedback directly on the initial launch. I will keep watching the forums to see how it fares until then.

Regards - Phil Moir - Genes Reunited developer

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 28 May 2011 19:26

Hi Phil and thank you for making yourself visible.

I look forward to reading your blogs and seeing how the site develops.

Body armour should you need it >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

But I don't think it will be necessary

Whilst we have your attention please sort out the emoticons. :D

philmoir

philmoir Report 28 May 2011 22:45

Whilst the support team do watch the boards as often as possible, I will be taking a personal 'developer' interest in the Suggestions (possibly even known as "Suggestion Box") board. I will see what's going on with the odd appearances of emoticons, and promise those that don't like them that I will use them very sparingly, too.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 28 May 2011 23:19

Ah ... so we are each to have our own blog if we choose?

The possibilities .................

Right, so back to the technical side.

I don't care whether people use emoticons or not.

I just don't want them smeared all over posts I have not intentionally inserted them into. And I cannot imagine what could have possessed whoever invented the codes for them to do it so badly, or why it could be taking so long to correct the problem caused.

philmoir

philmoir Report 3 Jun 2011 16:07

Since this thread is still alive (for the moment), I have posted another personal blog. Not a Pulitzer prize winner, but you might enjoy it. :-)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/blog.page/phil-moir/archive/2011/6/3/a-cycle-through-the-past

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Jun 2011 16:20

Well, as long as this thread is still alive, I should post a belated welcome.

Had to earn it, you did -- and you have!

;-)

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 3 Jun 2011 16:34

So -- are comments going to be enabled?

Or, as they do it at eHarmony (you know, the place that banned me from the discussion boards ... three times ... ;-) ) -- have separate discussion threads on one of the boards, which start with the link to the blog entry and invite discussion.

My grandfather was born w/in the sound of Bow Bells! In East Ham, his mother from Romford, her parents from Little Hallingbury and Matching, but of course his father was from Cornwall, Mr Hill/Monck ...

But I doubt that my second cousin four times removed, Lord Justice, Viscount and Lord Chancellor, ever sat on the bench of anywhere as common as Snaresbrook Crown Court. :-D