Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Submit Correction Facility

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christina (Lancashire)

Christina (Lancashire) Report 12 Jun 2011 16:39

Please will you add an option to submit corrections, for transcription errors, on the transcribed indexed bmd records.

Thank you.



SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jun 2011 06:49


GR probably cannot do that as the records they use have been transcribed by other sites, and GR does not "own" them.

use freebmd or ancestry or fmp, and then you can make corrections (usually known as "add alternative information"


Christina (Lancashire)

Christina (Lancashire) Report 14 Jun 2011 23:15

Hi Sylvia,

I bought credits to view a transcribed birth record on this site, and it was a transcription error.

I understand what you're saying about where they get the records from, but as GR have sold me this product they should be responsible for making ammends.


Gai Report 15 Jun 2011 00:27

I'd love GR to answer my question from last year as to what happened to the census records that vanished from the site when they changed census providers.



SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2011 03:47


if GR is directing you to another site to see those records, which is what used to happen although no-one can find out whether this is what still happens, then GR cannot make changes, or give you the means of making those changes.

It appears that what GR has is the ability to allow members to "see" those records, whether they are actually held on this site, or just access allowed ........ but the records are locked so no changes can be made

You do get far better access to the records and to many more records on other sites.

Do please understand though that no site allows CHANGES to be made to the records .............. the most they do is add alternative information re the correct name, and the correct name will show up in searches. But the transcribed wrong name remains as the major one on the record page.

I have been told that fmp can be more difficult when trying to get them to make changes, while ancestry is very accommodating.

It is also true that fmp and ancestry use different transcriptions ........... so you might be able to find out where your record is originating!

It probably is fmp as fmp and GR are now owned by the same company BrightSolid.



SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2011 03:50


GR probably lost all access to those records, and probably it was because they were not accessing fmp's record but ancestry's

It really is true that up to at least a couple of years ago GR did just re-direct you to the other sites

That was why you could not move from page to page in a census, or see more than the Index to bmds, when free sites such as freebmd, freereg, as well as ancestry and fmp, were showing the actual registrations. Extremely annoying especially when trying to find marriages!



Gai Report 15 Jun 2011 04:08

Well Sylvia,

I'm just lucky that I decided to search for my great grandfather 2 years ago and save the image from GR because if I went searching for him now I wouldn't be able to find him in the census.



SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2011 05:25

he should be there ..... but probably as a major mistranscription!

I've had some really wild and wonderful ones in my tree that make you scratch your head and think "how on earth did the transcriber get that from that?"!



Gai Report 15 Jun 2011 07:59

That's the thing Sylvia, he was there transcribe correctly. The only thing I can think of is the image wasn't the best of quality so maybe that's why it disappeared.

I should drag out the photocopy of the image and go through the census search and see if the other households on the page is missing as well.



SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2011 21:40

or ask someone to look him up on ancestry ;-)



Kay???? Report 15 Jun 2011 22:05

If they are General Register Office ONS indexes no alteration or amendment can be made to them they have to remain as they appear.

Christina (Lancashire)

Christina (Lancashire) Report 15 Jun 2011 22:21

No it's not a error on the index.

Whoever transcribed this particular record, from the index, copied the name with the district, vol. and page no. from the entry below it.