Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Moving to the correct board

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jax

jax Report 29 Jun 2011 14:43

Although I think it is a good idea to move threads from one board to another.

I also think you will have a never ending job

If other members are Not allowed to mention that a post is on the incorrect board and the thread is completed before it is moved...how is the poster meant to know they posted in the wrong place?

Thread started 18th May posted on suggestions board moved to Find ancestors today 29th June?? Is the poster hanging around for an answer now?

Good idea in practice....but are you going to inform them?

jax

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 29 Jun 2011 15:01

Jax,

When sites such as Rootschat move a post/thread to another location (as has happened to me on a couple of occasions) they notify the poster by email that their post has been moved and give a hyperlink to its new location.

One would assume/hope that when Genes does move a thread they will follow a similar procedure.

It would only be if the thread was removed completely from the message boards that the original poster and any one who had contributed to it or had it bookmarked (Watched threads) would be unable to locate it.

jax

jax Report 29 Jun 2011 15:17

Well I hope they do Jonesey

If the poster returns to their thread it does'nt matter what board it is on because they will find it in "My Threads"

But if they are not notified of the reason it has been moved then they will never know they posted in the wrong place to start with :-)

jax

Island

Island Report 29 Jun 2011 16:03

Relax jax

jax

jax Report 29 Jun 2011 16:14

To be honest I dont care where people post Island

But if GR are trying to tidy up the boards maybe they can confirm that posters are being informed, as some do not seem to read the guildlines set out at the top of the boards.

Some threads are being reported (not by me I might add) maybe for this reason??

jax

philmoir

philmoir Report 29 Jun 2011 16:30

Hi Jax

Just me trying to tidy up Suggestions board as a test. Yes, I am sending a PM to the original poster that the thread has moved. Because it's still just a test of the concept, I wanted to make sure it would work before taking it further. I would see this being pushed to the Support team, and it being automated to notify the original poster (and may be the other contributors).

But don't disagree with you having concerns. Keeps us on our toes.

Phil

jax

jax Report 29 Jun 2011 16:48

As long as the original poster is informed that should be ok.

As for anyone who has contributed...they would not need to know as long as it still stayed in their "My Threads"

All I was thinking, was that if the poster was not told why their thread has been moved...then they would continue to post in the incorrect place.

Trouble is there a some who use General chat who do not want to post on Find Ancestors (which I can quite understand), and would rather have their friends help them. In this case maybe they can have some sort of chat thread going where they can ask each other rather than open for all??

jax

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 29 Jun 2011 20:12

I agree Jax,  otherwise posters would never learn the purpose of each board negating the need for more than one board.  

I am glad that GR will be informing posters the reason it was moved to the correct board, however if members answer questions no matter which board they are posted on again this again negates the need for more than one board and GR moving posts to the correct board.

Also what is the point of moving a thread which contains all the requested information?  Perhaps under new topic a question needs to be asked along the line of Is this a request for tips on where to find information?  or looking for information on  ancestors?  or looking for  living people?  and depending on the answer ticked then the thread is automatically posted on the correct board removing the need to transfer between boards at a later date.

Joy

Joy Report 2 Jul 2011 09:17

Quite straightforward, It seems to me.
No other family history sites appear to have a problem doing this :)

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 2 Jul 2011 13:10

I would prefer that when a request is made that it is automatically put on the correct board rather than moved at a later date. This could be done by using filter questions before the post is submitted. That way is shouldn't matter whether someone is trying to submit a search for ancestors on Genealogy Chat or Finding Ancestors both it should just appear on Finding Ancestors. Also a filter question could be have you asked about this family before and if the answer is yes instead of allowing it to be submitted, prompt to return to original thread.