Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

LARGER FONTS

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GEORGINA

GEORGINA Report 9 Jul 2011 20:49

WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO INCREASE THE SIZE OF THE PAGE NUMBERS AT TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE THREADS.
BECAUSE OF COORDINATION PROBLEMS, I HAVE TROUBLE CLICKING ON THE PAGE NUMBERS TO GO TO THE NEXT PAGE, UNLESS I KEEP INCREASING THE FONT WHICH IS A NUISANCE.

SORRY, I DIDN'T MEAN TO USE CAPITALS BUT ITS EASIER FOR ME.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 9 Jul 2011 21:25

Or if there were a "Next Page" box to click on.

GEORGINA

GEORGINA Report 9 Jul 2011 22:02

Yes, that would be helpful too. As long as they are larger and easy to put the mouse cursor on.

No everyone on the boards has agile fingers or good eyesight.

jax

jax Report 10 Jul 2011 05:20

Can you not increase the size of the font by clicking the 100% at the bottom of your screen right hand corner on my laptop

jax

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Jul 2011 07:25

Hold down the Ctrl key and move the scroll wheel up / down to get the size you want.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Jul 2011 10:58

Or hold the Ctrl (Control) key whilst tapping the + (plus) key until you get to the required size. This will/should work on any web page. :-)

And don't worry about typing in capitals - if you post frequently, people will get to know why you need to do it. ;-)

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Jul 2011 18:50

I actually find reading posts all in caps difficult

jax

jax Report 10 Jul 2011 19:08

I find it difficult too

I cannot see why you would need to type in capitals, because you are not the one reading it. When I type I look at the keyboard not the screen.

Not being rude but I do have problems myself with my sight and hands.

jax

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Jul 2011 20:11

I fail to understand why anyone has difficulty reading capitals. I also have vision problems and I find it much easier to read something that's typed in capitals. As for saying that something typed in capitals means that you're shouting I say "Hogwash!"

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Jul 2011 20:42

Margee

Posts ALL in caps are more difficult to read as they appear like blocks. For some people with vision problems and some of those with 20 / 20 vision. :-\

Posts typed in ALL capitals are classed as shouting. :-\

Many forums do not allow posts all in caps at all, and posts are removed & a warning is sent to the poster, :-P

As Jax said, you look at the keyboard when you type, not the screen. ;-)

If reading your own post is difficult when not using caps, how can you read the rest of the threads where 99% of the posts are typed in the correct fashion ? :-S

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 10 Jul 2011 20:54

I wonder by whose rules posts in capitals are considered shouting? They're certainly not in my book.
Incidentally I don't use capitals in my posts, never have done but I do find them easier to read.

Sally

Sally Report 10 Jul 2011 21:23

why not buy a software package that enlarges every thing as i do it also speaks as thecurser moves over the words

i use issist cost about £200 there are many to choose from

sally w

GEORGINA

GEORGINA Report 10 Jul 2011 22:19

SOMETIMES NEED TO TYPE I N CAPITALS, SOMETIMES I increase the font size, whatever is most comfortable to my eyes. If you increase the font size too much the page is too large for the screen and you have to reduce it anyway to carry on.

Mostly I touch type and check it on screen.

But my question was, although everyone except Margee seems to have ignored it, 'could we have the page numbers enlarged so that it is easier to click on them.'
I had to increase the font size to 170 to do that. It's a nuisance, but you get to manage things..

Detective, thank you, i won't worry about it. but the same people have niggled at me since I joined, HAVEN'T THEY ?

AND WHO SAYS 'LOWER CASE' IS CORRECT ANYWAY MILDRED?

At least mine is in proper English.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Jul 2011 22:32

"I wonder by whose rules posts in capitals are considered shouting?"

Netiquette rules , :-P

Widely used on the WWW, and widely adhered to on many forums. :-D

Joy

Joy Report 10 Jul 2011 22:37

I like Sally's suggestion re "a software package that enlarges every thing"; and I quite like this about internet etiquette
http://www.dso.iastate.edu/asc/academic/elearner/nettiquette.html

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Jul 2011 22:44

"AND WHO SAYS 'LOWER CASE' IS CORRECT ANYWAY MILDRED?"

Actually Georgina, ALL lower case would be wrong (lets not forget caps where the're needed) - but nevertheless lower case is easier to read than all caps ;-)

"At least mine is in proper English."

And whose isn't ? :-P

GEORGINA

GEORGINA Report 10 Jul 2011 22:56

As I have said, the question was ONLY about the size of the PAGE NUMBERS at the top and bottom of the pages.

It was really a technical question for Phil, to find out if it could be done. If they have made space for photos, a little matter like larger page numbers shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't learn netiquette. We learnt proper etiquette. As long as you keep to that you can't go wrong. Poking your tongue out at people indeed. Quite unnecessary.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 10 Jul 2011 23:14

If the icon offends you, then request its removal :-(

Regarding you post at 22:19,

I actually find your written tone in the way you are "speaking" to me as aggressive :-0 and speaks volumes regarding netiquette, etiquette. or plain old good manners :-(

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 11 Jul 2011 01:37

So let me get this straight. Typing a message in capital letters is considered offensive but using a childish emoticon with its tongue sticking out is not?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Jul 2011 06:16

The assumption that capitals are easier to read is false. Our brain is much better at interpreting mixed text.

Have you ever wondered why most road signs are in mixed text?