Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Standard Membership

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Aug 2011 22:48

Can GR please clarify which records can be accessed with a standard membership.

You state "50 free credits to access all of our records" with standard membership. This information is given when comparing Platinum to Standard membership.

This does not appear to work with the 1911 census

Can you please clearly state which records the credits can be used on and how many credits to view any records

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Aug 2011 09:29

Yes...Well that has me puzzled too...All I get is the "Purchase Credits" when I have tried to use them...

Island

Island Report 2 Aug 2011 10:47

It's probably down to the same bogeyman who offers random discounts at all times of year then has the staff claim they only offered them in the autumn when those who haven't been offered one ask why not. :-( :-S

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Aug 2011 12:50

I was only looking as my membership is due for renewal this month and not been offered any discount.

So wondering what exactly these 50 free credits, which I did not know about, can actually be used for..

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 2 Aug 2011 15:01

I was offered them when I renewed last year as I recall... but wasn't able to use /access them...same has happened this year.......so dont have a clue what "Free" means ....

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Aug 2011 16:42

I was given 50 credits to use when I renewed my standard membership. Have just had a look at them now and it says these credits are usually £5, but have to be used within 30 days. I would imagine mine are no longer valid, although it still says in the green bar at the top of the page that I still have 50 credits.

Kath. x

Libby

Libby Report 2 Aug 2011 18:27

I renewed on 24th July and was not offered a discount or free credits.

philmoir

philmoir Report 2 Aug 2011 19:57

Deep breath.... I am now officially back from holiday and re-entering into the discussions on this board.

Ok, Credits. I am going to try and keep this simple (and factual as best I know - but for the completely official breakdown you'd really need to email the support team).

Credits are only valid for a limited period.
If you buy (or are given) 50 credits they are only valid for 30 days.
If you buy 200 credits they are valid for 90 days.

This is normal practice for credits/pay-as-you across all the genealogy websites I use - GR, FMP, Ancestry, ScotlandsPeople and is stated on the relevant pages.

It is not stated in the comparison section as these are just headings.

You can use credits to view ANY transcriptions or images on the site, inc 1911 and Travel records, as well as sending messages if you are not Standard. You can now use credits if you are still on an old (not available as new) Gold package. As long as you have enough that is :-)

If you believe that you still have valid credits and cannot use them, then please email support, they will help you.

If you know you're out of the usage period and it still shows credits (as I believe a couple have above), then may I suggest you try signing out and back in. If it still shows credits, then let me know in this thread. If it cleared it to 0, then please also let me know. It should refresh this figure on each page load.

I hope this helps.
Phil

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 2 Aug 2011 22:06

I think it is unfair that credits are only valid for a limited time especially when they have been paid for. Just because this is the case on other sites does not mean that this has to be the case on this site.

Edit: welcome back from your hols

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Aug 2011 22:31

:-S

As I was not aware of being entitled to "50 free credits" how would I know they were only valid for 30 days.

When my membership is renewed on the 14th of this month will I be informed ot the credits and how will it show that I have been given them.

How long have the credits been available on Standard membership? Have members been losing out because they were not aware of this?

Probably a waste of time as I have subscriptions to FMP and Ancestry anyway so would rather have a reduced subscription on GR than 50 credits I would not be using.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Aug 2011 01:43

GB

I renewed a couple of months ago.

I was not told about 50 free credits

BUT I just noticed today that there is a tab on the dark green bar that says "50 Credits"

However, when I click on that, it is NOT 50 free, but telling me that I can buy 50 credits, that will be good for 1 month.

I consider the implication of it being shown on that bar as somewhat misleading ..................... the implication is that I might have 50 credits

Suggestion for Phil ....................... would it be better to change that tab just to read Credits, or Buy Credits?

sylvia

Joy

Joy Report 3 Aug 2011 08:26

I was not told about 50 free credits either :-(

philmoir

philmoir Report 3 Aug 2011 08:52

I need to check with support, but I don't think you get 50 credits when you renew, only when you buy Standard the first time. It should not indicate 50 credits in tool bar - but Pay per View. I think this may be the confusion (and the bug!) - we will investigate

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Aug 2011 10:21

Thank you Phil for replying.

No indication when comparing membership packages that this only applies to new members.

Patricia

Patricia Report 3 Aug 2011 11:01

Phil, just been reading this thread

When I renewed 10 June [standard] I got the 50 free credits, and I have just checked they are still valid as have just used them.

Island

Island Report 3 Aug 2011 16:41

Hi Phil

While you are checking with support regarding 'free' credits maybe you could also ask why random members are offered a discount on renewing subs - regardless of type, length of time and continuous or not - but when those of us who haven't had such an offer ask why, we are fobbed off with some nonsense about discounts only offered last autumn. January to July are not autumn months!

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 3 Aug 2011 21:33

I don't understand! Someone here said that they were offered the free credits when they renewed last year. Not buying standard for the first time but renewing. I was never offered them nor were most of the people responding to this thread. What's going on?

Patricia

Patricia Report 3 Aug 2011 22:08

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/payments.page/subscription

the above link will take you to the compare subscriptions page, apart from the actual price [I'm on a 6 month sub] this page was the page I was taken to when I renewed, I presume because they would like me to upgrade. scroll to the bottom and bingo............ Free Credits for standard memebership, nowhere does it say it is time limited nor does it say it's a one off for the first subscription.

And Phil I got a discount in June too, if I had a choice of which I would like to keep then I'd have to go for the discount everytime, as it's of more use to me

Island

Island Report 4 Aug 2011 00:01

Hi Patricia

I don't see anything about free credits in that link :-S

I wish GR would look into these random offers - subs discounts and free credits - and come clean because something isn't making sense!

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 4 Aug 2011 18:25

Margee...When I said I was "offered" 50 free credits when I renewed last year ...It was not an offer per se that I was aware of until 50 credits appeared in the toolbar...given that I couldn't access or use them...what can one say...!! My membership to this May this year was continuous..
Equally my membership lapsed this year and when I went to renew it ..up pops the fifty "free" credits...which was on the invitation to renew my membership.