Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margo

Margo Report 10 Aug 2011 23:56

It's about time Genes Reunited had Scottish Records it's very frustrating taking all the time and effort using the site but not able to search .

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Aug 2011 06:45

I think you will find that many Scottish records are only available through the Scotlands People website and are not accessible through other sites.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Aug 2011 08:06

Brightsolid which owns this site and FMP - I believe also own Scotlandspeople.

This is actually mentioned across the bottom of the FMP home page

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Aug 2011 09:12

I don't think Brighsolid actually own Scotlands People outright. If you then look at the bottom of the SP site it says

"A partnership between General Register Office for Scotland, the National Archives of Scotland and the Court of the Lord Lyon enabled by brightsolid"

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 11 Aug 2011 11:35

GOOGLE

Scottish Census Records - Discover Your Family Tree Online

& it shows

Scottish Census Records - Discover Your Family Tree Online.
www.genesreunited.co.uk/Census <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Quick, Simple & Free Census Search!
1911 Census Records - 1901 Census Records - 1841 Census Records

;-)

Joy

Joy Report 18 Aug 2011 22:16

Very misleading -

http://www.business7.co.uk/insider-magazine/latest-news/2011/08/08/the-it-guru-developing-a-genealogy-giant-106408-23328332/

Sponsored Links

Ads by Google

Scottish Genealogy

Search 751 million names for Free. Contact Family you've never met.
www.GenesReunited.co.uk

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Aug 2011 20:23

Yes, good find and I will need to read it in more detail, but it does ay that BS only 'manages' the Scotlands People site, which implies it has no rights whatsoever over the intellual property within it.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 21 Aug 2011 13:14

You also have to tske into account that the England & Wales are under the control of the GRO whilst the Scot's records are held by a different body.

This also explains why the Scottish BMD's have a totally different format to the English & Welsh records.

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 22 Aug 2011 01:05

Scottish Census Records
Discover Your Family Tree Online. Quick, Simple & Free Census Search!
www.genesreunited.co.uk/Census

But if you subscribed to GR
based on the above ............to me it is false advertising

:-S

Joy

Joy Report 22 Aug 2011 13:18

"based on the above ............to me it is false advertising"
- indeed; misleading and, I would have thought, contravening the trades descriptions act:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/29/pdfs/ukpga_19680029_en.pdf?timeline=true
http://www.claims.co.uk/faulty-product/trade-descriptions-act.html

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 25 Aug 2011 22:15

I'm sure the lawyers have checked it out - it will, no doubt be covered in the tiny little print somewhere or other.

Orchie

Orchie Report 27 Aug 2011 15:51

I've just joined and I am very disappointed, wouldn't have bothered if I had know Scotland was not included in the searches. I've had a look on other trees but the 'hot' ones are not even the same dob I have put in for my relatives. Anything I can do to find out anything at all? :(

Joy

Joy Report 31 Aug 2011 22:59

Having just read here
http://lostcousins.com/newsletters/lateaug11news.htm
"I'm looking forward to findmypast adding transcripts of the Scottish censuses - they are supposed to go online before the end of this year."
maybe Scottish census will be in genes reunited after that.